Cake Photo Contests On Cc??

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 10:07pm by boatorr

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:48am
post #1 of 15

So tonight I was just looking through some of the great albums that we have of cake photo 'contests' albums. but I realized I don't know much about them or how these contest photos got here. Was it something that was done on CC? Did someone go to places and take photos? (which looked like what happened for conventions)

I love to be competitive as I am sure we all do icon_wink.gif so, how would one go about starting this up again...or starting a NEW one? I mean...there are plenty more possibilities other than wedding cakes... There could be different photo contests based off of the categories we have now...like sculpted, topsy-turvey, cake that looks like food, cake that's ARTISTIC...things like that. I guess I am a person that likes to bring positive things to people and I think a friendly photo contest would be fun! icon_biggrin.gif

What are your thoughts?

14 replies
step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 15

so...no one likes this idea? man icon_sad.gif

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 15

I'm with ya'!

I entered a wedding contest on here once, and haven't noticed any other contest since then.

Great idea!!

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocakes

I'm with ya'!

I entered a wedding contest on here once, and haven't noticed any other contest since then.

Great idea!!

oh goodie! do you remember how it was done?

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 15

Im in!
I would love to enter a photo contest, sounds like fun!
Hopefully someone knows how to go about getting one going! icon_biggrin.gif

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 15

Im in!
I would love to enter a photo contest, sounds like fun!
Hopefully someone knows how to go about getting one going! icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 15

I think those were set up by Jackie and Heath, and they dropped them until the new format was finished...... maybe you should ask them about it....

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 15

sounds like a good idea grammaj. I was wondering if they did it or someone else started it. thanks for the heads up!

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 15

sounds fun. I would love to do a "challenge" even if it wasn't a contest. Maybe like a monthly challenge? Sounds like fun to me.

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edee

sounds fun. I would love to do a "challenge" even if it wasn't a contest. Maybe like a monthly challenge? Sounds like fun to me.

actually, there is a cake "challenge" that is going on in the threads now. I can't remember what it is called at the moment icon_redface.gif but they have one decorator challenge another one and pick a theme...it's pretty neat.

I'm talking about doing a contest with the whole site...like how they have the contest albums now. I've actually pm'd Jackie this morning icon_biggrin.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 15

There are a few threads that are wondering the same thing. The cake contests what happened to them? And how can we start them up again?
I am so glad you decided to try to start one, I would love to enter. I know that there is a thread that is trying to do one for beginners as well. Just hope the contests are going to be able to be started again, they seem like so much fun and a great way to improve on your work!!!

Jessica icon_biggrin.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 15

I think it would be fun!!

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:20pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:

actually, there is a cake "challenge" that is going on in the threads now. I can't remember what it is called at the moment icon_redface.gif but they have one decorator challenge another one and pick a theme...it's pretty neat.

I'm talking about doing a contest with the whole site...like how they have the contest albums now. I've actually pm'd Jackie this morning icon_biggrin.gif

Do you know which forum it is in?? Sounds like fun!

step0nmi Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #14 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:

Do you know which forum it is in?? Sounds like fun!

I think it's called a "Throwdown"?? don't quote me...but maybe it's in the contest threads or something...can't remember sorry icon_redface.gif

boatorr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boatorr Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:07pm
post #15 of 15

I just left a ICES contest in Charlotte it was my first one and loved it. I would love to do another. Thing is we would have to figure out how it can be fair for everyone. I.e. i came in 2nd place under the beginner division. Well the 1st place winner had been doing cakes for 14 years and was a decorator at Harris Teeter. Nothing will discourage a person more than if they follow the rules and are forced to come in 2nd because of low down cheats. If your a Member of ICES please let me know im trying to get the NC chapter to investigate but my complaints felt like they fell on deaf ears. If they do not fix the problem then im afraid my only place to compete will be on here. Sorry if it sounds like a rant but rules are rules.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%