Help! What Happened? Please "analyze" This Recipe

Baking By sugargirl4 Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm by Pookie59

sugargirl4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugargirl4 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 14

I made these today, and they turned out less than desirable, and I KNOW I'm a better baker than this!

Super Peanut Butter Drops
1C PB
1/2C gran sugar
1/2 brown sugar
1t baking soda
2 eggs
1/2C flour
1C semi sweet chips

The fact that there is a whole cup of PB and only 1/2 C flour made me a little leary, and sure enough, they turned out too flat and "greasy".
WAAAAHHHH! icon_cry.gif

Does the peanut butter make a difference?
What kind should I be using? Or is that not the problem, do you think?

Advice?

icon_sad.gif

13 replies
giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 14

I don't really know what you did, but I tried a Martha recipe that was similar, except that it had about 1/2 the sugar of your recipe.
It had been rated highly on her site, so I tried it, but they were Terrible!!! Couldn't even get my 3 year old or 18 month old to eat them and usually they are all about carbs. I had wanted to take them to a picnic, but ended up throwing them away. Every once in a while a bad recipe just gets ya!
Maybe someone else can help you fix it. I myself just threw out the recipe and started looking for another.....so many recipes, so little time..... icon_smile.gif
Heather

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 14

No expert here, but yeah, only a 1/2 cup of flour doesn't sound like enough with that much peanut butter and 2 eggs. I think I'd try increasing the flour until it got to a consistency I was more comfortable with.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 14

I don't know how they are supposed to turn out but I would say there is not enough flour to balance the peanut butter. Basically it looks like sugar and peanut butter. I have a recipe that has similar sugars and peanut butter but it has several cups of oats to go with it- no flour, just oats. I would think 1 1/2 cups of flour at least for your recipe. I don't think the kind of peanut butter matters.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 14

I have a recipe with a whole cup of PB but it also has a whole cup of br sugar and a whole cup of wh sugar...and plenty of flour, just over 2 cups I think. They are the most delicious PB cookies I've ever had in my life and everybody loves them.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 14

I have a recipe I use and it calls for 1 cup PB, 1 cup granulated sugar, and 1 egg....they bake up like a regular cookie. The brand of PB shouldn't make a difference unless possibly it was an all natural peanut butter which would have alot more natural oil in it than say JIF or something like that.

On another note, I've had recipes that baked up fine time after time, and then one time then bake up flate and lace like.......humidity maybe...I don't know.....sometimes these things happen though.

I hope you're able to figure it out.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 14

A friend of mine makes the most simple pb cookies ever... 1 jar of pb, 1 cup sugar and 1 egg. I was shocked that they were so yummy (and that they actually turned out so well too!)

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 14

I make a similar recipe for my diabetic friends and substitute Equal for the sugar, Bijoudelanuit. I then roll them into little balls and bake them. They are really pretty good.

chris9171 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chris9171 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:00am
post #9 of 14

I make a delicious pb and j thumbprint cookie and it has only one egg and much more flour. I would definitely add probably two cups of flour to the recipe you used. That's alot of Pb for only 1/2 cup of flour. The brand of pb you use shouldn't make a difference at all. I've used whatever is on sale w/ mine and it never changes the consistency.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:20am
post #10 of 14

Another thing to check - make sure your baking soda hasn't expired. A friend of mine couldn't figure out why her cakes were always flat and swore it was her pans and her oven. Nope - it was the beyond 2 years expired baking powder she was using! Once she bought a new container her problem was solved!

sugargirl4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugargirl4 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #11 of 14

I'm certain it was the flour/pb ratio....I'm going to try another recipe.

Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:04pm
post #12 of 14

I would say just add 1or 2 cups of flour to the recipe, I recently printed out a recipe for a carrot cake and as I looked at the recipe I could tell that something was not right but couldn't put my finger on it, so I continued to make the cake, couldn't eat it, it was to salty. So I looked back over the recipe and realized it had some major typo's- 1 Tbsp baking soda, 1 Tbsp baking powder and 1Tbsp salt. EEWWWWW.

So I'm guessing that the recipe you have just needs more flour.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 14

I use a recipe that just has peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. My customers love it. I dont know what is wrong with that recipe. Good luck if you try it again with more flour

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 14

I agree - not enough flour. I think I might use less peanut butter and add substitute some butter or butter flavor crisco (1/2 c peanut butter and 1/2 c butter), add 1 t vanilla and at least double the flour - 1 cup or more until you have a dough that will actually bake into something. I wonder, too, if that recipe has enough sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%