Gumpaste Tools- Which Ones Are Better?

Decorating By jenny518 Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm by Lynnscakes_sc

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking at getting into the world of gumpaste flowers and have been looking at various companies' tools. I know I can get the new Wilton set in a case w/ a palette knife at Hobby Lobby. I also saw these at Global SA. Does anyone have these- the price is reasonable, what should I get to start???
http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21555

6 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 7

If you are just beginning I would recommend getting the new Wilton kit and practice with it. After you get good and if you choose to pursue gumpaste flowers I would recommend getting the PME stuff. It's far more pricey but I think it's much better quality. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

sttgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sttgirl Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 7

I have the old Wilton set (green ones) bought it a few years ago and they have held up fairly well. I use them for both fondant and gumpaste flowers however I would love to have a metal ball shaping tool. The added benefit to getting the wilton set is at hobby lobby or michaels you can always use a coupon. Good luck!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 7

The only problem I could see with the tools in your link was that the ball tool has seams. These can make lines and usually stick to gumpaste. This, in turn, will make you crazy. icon_eek.gif

The black gem tools are more expensive, but are smooth. I still use them even with fancier tools that I have collected over the years. I started with the Wilton, and as quickly as I could, I moved to other brands. The JEM tools were my next set. Here is the link: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=527&SubCatId=222&productId=2008

Cutters can be made with templates or free-handed. I've even made my own when needed. Call me crazy. icon_rolleyes.gif

HTH

Michele

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #5 of 7

Im new too, i got the wilton set, So far so good. I got it at hobby lobby with a 40% off coupon.

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #6 of 7

I'd really like to know if anyone has the Marcella Sanchez ones (see link above).

Lynnscakes_sc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnscakes_sc Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 7

I am also new to gumpaste flowers and found out really quick how exspensive it can be. I found that Donna Dewberry has started a line of tools and cutters for clay that I found at AC Moore. She has the ball tool which comes 3 in the pack (all different sizes and they are metal not plastic) for about $10.00 and with a 50% off coupon I only paid $5.00. She also has leaf cutters. Go to the clay section and look for her stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%