Trouble With Sides Of Torted Cake Matching Up...please Help

Decorating By PollyMaggs Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 1:14am by BlakesCakes

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 9

No matter what I do I always have to shave the side of my cakes so that the layers match up...What am I doing wrong? By the way I use straight sided pans, I just cant line them up properly. Is there a trick to this?Please help. Thanks,
Polly

8 replies
MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 9

Mark the sides with toothpicks or something (one pick just above the cut, lined up vertically with one just below).

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 9

I always had this problem until I started using the Agbay, bacause I never levelled evenly. The Agbay ALWAYS levels evenly, so no more mess ups. One of my favorite tools if not my favorite.

The toothpick tip will help you to line up your layers though, good idea.

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 9

After I tort, but before I separate my cake, I mark the side of the cake with a line of frosting on both pieces. That way, after I fill the middle, I know where to match the cakes up again.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 9

i agree with dkelly27. using the agbay leveler really improved the way my layers looked when stacked...perfectly straight sides.

i used to use that other branded cake leveler and my cakes would always look like they were leaning to a side.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 9

I totaly agree with dkelly27 too. AGBAY is the answer. I had that problem too. But now all my cakes are level. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 9

I've never had the pleasure of using an agbay. However until you get one, it's not the end of the world to have to trim the sides of your cakes. I actually shave the sides of all my cakes now. Makes icing them so much easier.

Some pastry chefs want all the brown removed from thier cakes.

I mean I just never have baked off perfectly perfect cakes so the trimming makes the icing slide on easy so I don't have any of those annoying spots that can shine through your icing when you're smoothing kwim. So you gotta go back and add more in that area and re-smooth.

So no worries--you're way cool!!!

One guy's failed chocolate cake is the next guy's pan of brownies.

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:09am
post #8 of 9

I saw this on an Alton Brown episode where he put a little notch just before he separated the 2 layers. That way he could match it back up again. He's so cool.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:14am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl

After I tort, but before I separate my cake, I mark the side of the cake with a line of frosting on both pieces. That way, after I fill the middle, I know where to match the cakes up again.

Me, too! Learned that trick in 7th grade home ec thumbs_up.gif

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%