What Should I Do??? Help!

Decorating By Karema Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 3:58pm by Karema

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:42am
post #1 of 42

Ok this is kind of long but I need some advice. My town is doing something called The world's largest yard sale this saturday. I just found out about it this week and called and they still have tables available. It's usually about 6000 people or more there and its a huge opportunity. I would love to sale cookies, cupcakes, and breads, I think it would be a huge opportunity for me to sell some baked goods and get some exposure by handing out broshures, and cards. I was so excited about it today when I called but it is $150 to even get a table.

There is so much in the way that I dont know if I have the confidence to pull it off. I usually jump at things fast without thinking it all the way through but now I cant afford to do that. I dont really have anyone to babysit my kids or help me go out there. My sister can go out there with me but she has two kids also and someone would have to watch four kids. Also I sell cookies at the local flea market and I dont want to lose my spot by not showing up so I still want to have to my husband go to that flea market so my famiy will be doing both. I dont konw what to do? I'm feeling so discoruaged right now because I really dont have the support that I need to make this work and I'm scared. Am I making a huge mistake trying to do this? Should I just skip it and go next year? I still would have to get more cards printed, flyers, broshures, and bake a whole lot! Help I have to decide tonight or early tomorrow. Can anyone help me make a good decision?

41 replies
apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:53am
post #2 of 42

ok don't mean to sound like a party pooper but I think you should just wait until next year...I think all the things that aren't going for you is maybe your cue that to wait. Plus it is almost Tuesday, could you really do enough volume of things by then, god you would be non stop baking! Also your materials are going to cost you a great deal, as well as your brochures, cards, etc. If you can't afford the $150.00 table how then would you pull off all these expenses...not trying to sound harsh...but I know sometimes I get caught up in a moment, and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, or reality for that matter. I think you should just go there for the bargains with your family and enjoy the day, and shoot for it for next year, when you can have more prep time for it. You also don't want to have something that looks thrown together being last minute...I think it isn't worth stressing yourself and your wallet out right now...whatever you decide good luck...sorry if I came across as such a downer!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:55am
post #3 of 42

That sounds like a huge opportunity, but there is one important question that you need to answer... can you make enough QUALITY products to make this worth your while? Obviously with about 6000 people there, you could easily make up the $150 if you have enough stuff with you, but are you going to have time? Or will it be slap-bang, not your best work? If you think you have time GO FOR IT! What an opportunity, but if you're going to be churning out something that is beneath your usual standards, you may be doing yourself a disservice. Perhaps planning ahead for next year and reserving a booth in advance would be a better option in that case. I wish you the best of luck, and wish I were there to help you!!! I'm a great babysitter! thumbs_up.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #4 of 42

I agree with the above posts. Sit this year out and work on recipes for next year. Hopefully then everything will work out easier and you will be able to have fun and relax more. Good luck!

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:06am
post #5 of 42

I know its really hard to pass up an opportunity, I have the same frustration but maybe you can make a bit of time to go over to the big yard sale this year. You'd get a really good idea of what you need to bring, talk to people running tables and find out what kind of quantity they sell, prices they price at, etc. Then you'll be super prepared, book it way ahead of time, and you will ROCK next year.

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 42

I think the advice I've read so far is pretty good. It's better to go really prepared. Why don't you try to add something new to your cookie sales and see how the people like it. Between now and the big sale next year, you can try different things and see what is popular and what would be a good seller for you. hth

Teresa

Karema Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 42

So he is what I've decided. I Mel you are right I would never sacrifice my quality for quantity. I am going to do it and I'm going to start today. My sister is coming over and she is staying at my house until sunday as reinforcement. I'm not going to go to the flea market until sunday. Im still trying to find a babysitter and if I cant my kids are going with me. Im going to make my breads today and make my cookie batter tonight. I will start baking on thursday morning and go all day. I dont know how much I will need. I'm thinking 100 dozen. I dont know? I will put the cookies in plastic shoe containers until friday and bag them on friday. I am going to sell banana bread, zucchini bread, cookies, pound cake and I'm not sure about some cupcakes yet. I figured if I mix three batches of cookies at once it should go pretty fast. I have a 4.5 qt kitchen aid. I hope it can hold that much. Any advice of how I should organize and have any ideas of what I should not forget to bring out there. So far I'm thinking flyers, business cards, broshures, labels, plastic bags, price signs, and something to display them. Is that all? Do I need all of that. I'm so nervous. Thank you all for your help and support. I pray that I can do this. My sister is God sent! Thanks for listening to me I love you guys icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 42

Karema, I wish you luck....and good Weather icon_wink.gif

Don't forget to bring a lot of change, 1's, 5's, and coins and a cash box to put it in. I do holiday craft shows and with selling cookies and small items I always run out of change, everyone pays with $20's on the weekend, I guess it's because they run to the ATM first.

I hope it all turns out like you hope, we'll send you good vibes, let us know how it goes.
Deb

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

So he is what I've decided. I Mel you are right I would never sacrifice my quality for quantity. I am going to do it and I'm going to start today. My sister is coming over and she is staying at my house until sunday as reinforcement. I'm not going to go to the flea market until sunday. Im still trying to find a babysitter and if I cant my kids are going with me. Im going to make my breads today and make my cookie batter tonight. I will start baking on thursday morning and go all day. I dont know how much I will need. I'm thinking 100 dozen. I dont know? I will put the cookies in plastic shoe containers until friday and bag them on friday. I am going to sell banana bread, zucchini bread, cookies, pound cake and I'm not sure about some cupcakes yet. I figured if I mix three batches of cookies at once it should go pretty fast. I have a 4.5 qt kitchen aid. I hope it can hold that much. Any advice of how I should organize and have any ideas of what I should not forget to bring out there. So far I'm thinking flyers, business cards, broshures, labels, plastic bags, price signs, and something to display them. Is that all? Do I need all of that. I'm so nervous. Thank you all for your help and support. I pray that I can do this. My sister is God sent! Thanks for listening to me I love you guys icon_lol.gif

Hi Karema,

I am proud of you for making your own mind about this. I wish you the best of luck and hope that the weather is in your favor. May you generate a lot of exposure and sell out.

Benisha

mtaccts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaccts Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 42

Is there any limitation to what you can sell? Do you need to be licensed? Seems they could leave themselves wide open to problems if they don't have some sort of food vendor policy. I'd hate to see you bake all that stuff and get there and they've failed to mention something like that to you ahead of time. But I guess if you're already doing it at a flea market you're go to go right?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 42

..........any limitation to what you can sell? Do you need to be licensed? Seems they could leave themselves wide open to problems if they don't have some sort of food vendor policy........

If she is already selling at a swap meet I would think she has this all covered.
When I started rfeading her post that was one of my 1st thoughts too.

kden3980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kden3980 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:18pm
post #12 of 42

Where in NY is the largest yard sale????icon_smile.gif

kden3980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kden3980 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 42

Where in NY is the largest yard sale????icon_smile.gif I love them!!!!!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

Ok this is kind of long but I need some advice. My town is doing something called The world's largest yard sale this saturday. I just found out about it this week and called and they still have tables available. It's usually about 6000 people or more there and its a huge opportunity. I would love to sale cookies, cupcakes, and breads, I think it would be a huge opportunity for me to sell some baked goods and get some exposure by handing out broshures, and cards. I was so excited about it today when I called but it is $150 to even get a table.

There is so much in the way that I dont know if I have the confidence to pull it off. I usually jump at things fast without thinking it all the way through but now I cant afford to do that. I dont really have anyone to babysit my kids or help me go out there. My sister can go out there with me but she has two kids also and someone would have to watch four kids. Also I sell cookies at the local flea market and I dont want to lose my spot by not showing up so I still want to have to my husband go to that flea market so my famiy will be doing both. I dont konw what to do? I'm feeling so discoruaged right now because I really dont have the support that I need to make this work and I'm scared. Am I making a huge mistake trying to do this? Should I just skip it and go next year? I still would have to get more cards printed, flyers, broshures, and bake a whole lot! Help I have to decide tonight or early tomorrow. Can anyone help me make a good decision?

It sounds to me like you are trying to bite off more than you can chew at this late stage. If you were confident that you could pull off both events you would not find it hard to make the decision. I vote for sticking with your regular flea market and keeping this event in mind for next year. That way you are more prepared and you can make all the appropriate plans to ensure both events are successful.

Karema Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #15 of 42

Yes I have had my home inspected by the state. I am a home processor. The Yard sale is going to be in Hamburg NY. I'm not doing the flea market until Sunday. I usally bake anyway to go there on saturday and sunday. I'm going to put a sign up telling my customers I will be there on Sunday. I'm going to take all of my leftovers from saturday to the flea market on Sunday so I can get rid of almost everything. I've already started baking. I've finished my carrot cake, and zucchini bread. I'm doing chocolate cake next. Then I will do my banana bread then mix my cookie batter. As I'm mixing my sister will scoop and bake. My husband will bag cookies and tie ribbon. I think I'm kind of organized so I'm hoping it goes ok. I am jumping at this and I do wish I had more time. My sister made a point though. She asked me how it would have changed if I knew about it a month ago. I still would have had to bake a few days before not a month ago. Sooooo I pray I'm making the right decision. This yard sale generates about 6000 people so I should do well. I usually only make about $100 at the flea market. I'm hoping to make 1000 here. Pray for me that I'm not out of my mind dunce.gif

Melvira Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #16 of 42

Honey, by Sunday you WILL be out of your mind if you're not already!! But hopefully, you'll be laughing all the way to the bank! thumbs_up.gif

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #17 of 42

Will you be storing your items in refrigerated containers? I'm just wondering about having everything sit outside for a day and then trying to sell "leftovers" at another outside event where you're making a first impression. Not sure what the weather is like where you are, but I would be careful you don't end up with that spoiled taste that breads can get awfully fast. Good luck!

Karema Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #18 of 42

ROFLMAO!!!! Mel you are too funny. I'm not out of my mind yet because I'm still calm and collected. I think by thursday I will be a little looney and by sunday I will be completly nuts. LOL. I hope I'm making enough stuff. I'm making 50 dozen cookies, 50 zuchinni muffins, 50 banana nut muffins, 40 Carrot cake cupcakes, and four chocolate pound cakes, Is that enough. My sister thinks my prices are crazy though. I'm charging $3 for 3 cookies, $2 for a giant muffin and cupcake, $1 for a slice of pound cake. Am I insane? I dont think people will pay more than that.What to you think

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #19 of 42

I wish you all the luck and I think your right about the prices. I know when I go to a flea market or big yard sale I expect to pay less. icon_biggrin.gif

I would give it away though. icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #20 of 42

For the love of Pete!! icon_eek.gif In New York?? Now I realize you are not talking downtown New York City... but those seem fairly low for what I know of the Eastern states. Unless you are talking very small cookies, muffins, and slices? I'd say start a little higher, then if it's not going well, you can always lower them. I mean, I can see you sitting there after twenty minutes, in front of a table with nothing but crumbs on it, your hair all mussed, and a box of dollars in front of you thinking..."Man, I got robbed!" because they snapped it up at those low prices!! icon_lol.gif It's easy to lower prices, raising them... not so much!

Melvira Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemawfish

I wish you all the luck and I think your right about the prices. I know when I go to a flea market or big yard sale I expect to pay less. icon_biggrin.gif

I would give it away though. icon_lol.gif

Hmmmm... incredibly valid point. Ignore my previous rambling. It was more for humor anyway. Hehehe.

Karema Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm
post #22 of 42

I will be indoors at both events. My house is pretty cool. My breads will go in the refridegerator until saturday morning. My cookies won't be baked until thursday morning. So they shouldn't spoil. Thanks all for the advice. I love you guys. I can so imangine that picure of me Mel ! LOL that is too funny. I'm off to make banana bread. Question: My banana's still haven't turned brown yet can I still make bread with it, will it taste off? Ok I'm asking too many questions. Did you guys see my thread about Aldi's butter. Do you think it will taste the same?

Melvira Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:40pm
post #23 of 42

Peel 'em, mash 'em, leave 'em sit for a little while to brown up. Stir occasionally to expose the yellow stuff to the air. Works like a charm!

Meemawfish Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #24 of 42

Mel,

When I grow up I want to be just as smart as you. As many times that I've made banana pudding I never once thought of going ahead and leaving them out to the air to brown. You are one smart cuppie. icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:05pm
post #25 of 42

Why thank you!! Every once in a while I hit a good idea!

Meemawfish Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #26 of 42

Mel come on now it's all the time not every once in a while. I think you need to do one of those book and put all your tips on decorating and baking. icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:10am
post #27 of 42

Oh sure, then how would I be special? No one would need me anymore! icon_rolleyes.gif

Karema Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:27am
post #28 of 42

Ok so here goes...I'm done with banana bread, zuchinni bread, and carrot cake muffins. Sooo. Tonight I'm mixing cookie batter and going to bed before 12. Then I'm going to get up around 6 and start cookies. How does that sound? After I bake all day thursday I'm going to bake my cakes Friday morning. Hopefully my plan still works. I want to be done friday so in case I have to bake more I can. By then I will be almost crazy. Thanks Mel for that tip about the bananas. Have I told you lately that I love you? I spoke to the lady in charge of the yard sale and she said that last year a lady sold cookies for $12/dozen and sold out in three hours. She said people usually make over $1000 so I'm getting excited. T

Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:37am
post #29 of 42

My pleasure! Best of luck to you... don't forget to breathe! thumbs_up.gif

Karema Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:38am
post #30 of 42

Ok so here is what I'm done so far. I've finished all my cookies except peanut butter. I've finished the breads and the carrot cake cupcakes. It is 3:30 am and I'm soooo tired. We are going to finish these last cookies and go to bed. I'm going to at least try to sleep in until 8. Then I'll be getting up to bake chocolate cake, and pound cake. I may make some more bread because my zucchini bread came out amazing. I'm tired and want sleep. I think I'm almost loosing it. I'm actually thinking about baking more cookies tomorrow. Maybe a 4 dozen of chocolate chip. Ok now I know I'm crazy. Good night see you all in the late morning. lol icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%