Gumpaste Animals

Decorating By jenniefah Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 7:23am by ceshell

jenniefah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniefah Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 8

Hey, this is my first time making a cake like this, I bought some gumpaste (just to start off with) but I'm having the hardest time dying it (I ended up dying everything BUT the gumpast thumbsdown.gif )and shaping it.

We plan on making my daughters party jungle themed so if anyone knows where I can find some tutorials on how to make the jungle animals, I'd really appreciate it! thanks. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:24am
post #2 of 8

What did you use to try to color your gumpaste?
Are you using grocery store tiny bottles of food coloring? You need to get some paste/gel colors for cake decorating. You can get them at places like Michael's; JoAnn's Crafts; AC Moore and even WalMart.
As for a tutorial....there are a couple on this site -- at least one on the home pg on making tiny teddy bears. Much of what is covered there will work for other animals. Otherwise, get a book on making polymer clay critters....found at the same places mentioined above.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #3 of 8

kakeladi, is right..... i use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant when i make animals or people.... sometime i make pastillage.... but you have more time working with it using 50/50 gumpaste/fondant.... the paste colors or gel colors are best.... i use a toothpick and make some stripes over the medium i use... then you knead.... pull and stretch it until it is all one color... hth

jenniefah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniefah Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:28am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for responding. I got the wiltons coloring from walmart, I actually got this whole little tool kit, it came with a bunch of colors, icing tips, bags etc.

I have fondant, so should I mix that with the gumpaste before trying to make the animal?

Also, how long can I store the animals? My daughters bday is oct 5, but if I make the animals and they actually come out good, I'll probably wanna hang on to them because I don't have good luck.

Again, thanks for responding, I really appreciate it!

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:57am
post #5 of 8

If you mix your gumpaste and fondant you want to do it before you make the animals. Just do as in previous post, just knead and pull just dont pull on it like a taffy machine. That will bring too much air into it, I usually just roll and knead. You will need to let them sit out and dry, I put mine on foam paper that I buy from Michaels. To store I just put them into a tupperware container after they are completely dry. Depending on the size of your figures, it can take up to a few days to dry. They will dry firmer with the gumpaste mixed in the fondant. I did some animals on a jungle cake in my photos... those were my first and I had a blast with it! Oh iand i use clr vodka , just a bit on a sm paint brush,to attach arms or legs or other body parts. Good luck and have fun!

HTH,

Kim

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 8

Youtube.com has lots of tutorials on making animals. The best is Aine2 - she is unbelievably talented. Just put in a search on Youtube and you'll get lots of hits. I recently made a Zanzibar (jungle) cake and it was my first try (you can see my photos).

funsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funsugar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 8

aine2's video are great!

heres is a collection of animal videos here

http://sdcakes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&st=0&sk=t&sd=d&start=25

and here

http://sdcakes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

bumble bee's, sheeps, pigs, teddy bear,ducks, elephants, etc..

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:23am
post #8 of 8

To answer one of your other questions, you can store them for freakin' ever icon_wink.gif if you do 50/50. Remy to my left here <---- was made of 50/50. Although he had a lot of broken appendages because I let my daughter play with him, I STILL have what's left of him in my cabinet. So surely if you want to start practicing now, and they come out great, they'll be fine to use for your cake.

However if you DO use 50/50, they will eventually dry HARD so keep that in mind if you actually want them to actually be eaten. If you want them to stay softer for eating, I'd suggest letting them dry just a little while on their own (a few hours? a day?), and then sealing up in a tupperware to prevent further drying. Or you can also get away with just using Wilton fondant straight out of the package. (Then again you don't actually want anyone to eat that stuff icon_confused.gif)

-->Regardless, if you do them in advance, DO store them away from light or you will end up very surprised and frustrated by the inevitable color fading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%