How Do You Do Scrollwork On A Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 12:50pm by yelle66

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 6

I'm going to be doing scrollwork on a cake this weekend and was wondering how to go about it. It looks like RI but it is on a fondant cake and I didn't know if RI would work to pipe right onto BC (I use SMBC if it helps). Should I pipe it onto parchment and then move them onto the cake (BTW the scrollwork isn't super detailed. There is basically one row of scrolls around the middle of the cake) or should I pipe it with BC and hope it looks as good or will it work to pipe it straight onto the cake?



5 replies
levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 6

I have piped RI directly onto buttercream before and had no problems, but I wasn't doing scrollwork, it was just dots. But usually I pipe scrollwork on buttercream with buttcream and that works out fine.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 6

I do almost all decorating w/b'cream. I do not use RI if there is anyway I can get away w/iticon_smile.gif

By 'scrollwork' I believe you mean thin line shapes such as 'c's done w/a small writing all means that can & should be done w/b'cream.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #4 of 6

I don't do anything in Royal icing. It dries too hard and to me, no aspect of a cake should be crunchy. I use swirl rubber stamps to get an imprint on my cakes and then pipe over it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:27am
post #5 of 6

I never use RI for anything. I use the presses and pipe right on the cake, BC on BC.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%