Cute Idea For Holiday Packaging Of Oreo Cookies!!!

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 10:22pm by thin4life

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:57pm
post #331 of 347

I was at Sam's yesterday to see if they had any Ghirardelli bars left. Not only were there still some stocked, but the price had been dropped to $4.03 a bar! My husband ordered me to buy 10 bars...I was dithering about buying 5 or 6. I now have enough chocolate to keep me dipping Oreos for a very long time!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:29pm
post #332 of 347

I bought some here in NY for the same. Last year when they went on clearance they were only $2!! I bought 6 yesterday and will keep going back every few days to see if they go lower.

The package says not to freeze them, but I did that last year and they were fine. Can anyone think of a reason they would go "bad" in the freezer?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 8:51pm
post #333 of 347

The only problem with freezing them is sometimes choc from the freezer will have a kind of white look to it after it thaws. Its not a problem just storing it in a cool place for at least a yr .

imakecakes Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:39pm
post #334 of 347

So, you think it's just because of the "Bloom" that it says not to freeze them?

I want to really stock up while the blocks are on sale and in case I can't get them again until next year. (I have only found them during the Holiday season at Sam's--thus why they are on clearance, I believe) Having a lot of blocks in my pantry will take a lot of space. I'd rather they were out of the way in my extra freezer until I need them.

If they go down to $2 like last year, I'll freeze them for sure.

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:38pm
post #335 of 347

That would be my guess but sometimes that goes away after you melt it anyway, but I have had it show back up after its been melted and molded/dipped.
And yes it is a seasonal thing so when their gone thats it ! I also keep some of my extras in a big box on a closet shelf in my guest room and its just fine there to. Depends on how full my pantry is at the time.

GeminiRJ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:28pm
post #336 of 347

I don't want to count how many bars I have stored downstairs! We have a lot of storage, and it always stays nice and cool in the basement. No problems with the chocolate whatsoever.

imakecakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:27pm
post #337 of 347

I got more chocolate last night at Sam's--it's down to $3.81 each. They still had a few cases left, I wonder how low they'll go...This may be it...

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:37pm
post #338 of 347

I ordered some cookie molds & a truffle mold on the 7th at about 4pm, they mailed it out on Monday, and I got it on Tuesday! I love them!!!!! I cant wait to order more!! icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:58pm
post #339 of 347

Oh sounds like fun Chass!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #340 of 347

Ive been having fun all morning Fiddle!!! I found my chocolate melter, which is my best friend, which is why hubby prolly hid it from me....I made 3 packages of oreos...no idea who's gonna eat them, but it was fun making them! I love these molds!!! icon_biggrin.gif I had to stop though, because I have to get the kids soon & start a little girls b-day cupcakes due tommorrow.

teddybr218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddybr218 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:10pm
post #341 of 347

Can anyone tell me if the "food writers" or "gourmet writers" will write on white chocolate covered oreos? I would think it might work if you didn't press too hard.

Thanks in advance,
Cheryl

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:59am
post #342 of 347

Thanks for all the good info on this. I have problems with my chocolate melting as well icon_redface.gif

msgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msgirl Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:25am
post #343 of 347

Does anyone know how to get sprinkles or small candies such as M&M's to stick to the top of these after they are molded? If you put them in the mold they are covered with chocolate. I've seen pictures of the cookies completely covered with different kinds of sprinkles.

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 7:00pm
post #344 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgirl

Does anyone know how to get sprinkles or small candies such as M&M's to stick to the top of these after they are molded? If you put them in the mold they are covered with chocolate. I've seen pictures of the cookies completely covered with different kinds of sprinkles.

Once they're out of the molds, I brush on a bit of melted chocolate then cover with sprinkles. It doesn't take much time at all! I've also added "toppers" like Hershey's kisses, almond bark covered pretzels, molded chocolate designs, and royal icing decorations. The plain top mold is my favorite because you can personalize and "accessorize" the oreo in a variety of different ways.

msgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msgirl Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 8:17pm
post #345 of 347

Thanks! This worked like a charm. I thought this might be the way to do it. I thought about corn syrup but thought that might be too sticky and wouldn't hold larger candy pieces.

I like the plain ones the best too. I've used small cut out fondant shapes, piped icing, and royal icing decorations too. There are just so many different things you can do with the plain ones.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 8:34pm
post #346 of 347

These are my favorite to put on top of the plain choc. covered oreos, there are a ton of choices!

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx?description=sugar%20lay%20ons&page=-1

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:22pm
post #347 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by korensmommy

These are my favorite to put on top of the plain choc. covered oreos, there are a ton of choices!

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx?description=sugar%20lay%20ons&page=-1

I use these all the time on chocolate covered oreos. I just use a little chocolate to glue them to the cookie!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%