... Bake The 3D Stand Up Bear Without Heating Core

Decorating By tracey1970 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm by tracey1970

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 8

I know this has been discussed before, and I did do several searches with different wording to see if I could find it - no success.

In two weeks, I want to do the Wilton 3D stand up bear for my DDs 2nd b-day. I have baked the bear before a few times for trial runs and was never happy with the end result using the heating core that comes with the pan.

I have read before that many people skip the core and just fill the entire pan with batter. I love that idea as I think it will make the cake sturdier. I use the WASC recipe for this cake. How do you alter the pan instructions to ensure the cake is fully baked?

Thanks icon_smile.gif ,

Tracey

7 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:44am
post #2 of 8

I never do that, just fill the core and replace the hole with the cake from the core. If you have an extra cupcake in the freezer, you can cut half of that up and plug up the very bottom of the cake as well. I do that all the time. I would be afraid that not using the core would make the outside of the cake too overbaked/dry.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 8

I've baked without the core. Turn the heat down and bake it longer.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:27am
post #4 of 8

I second Kitagirl. I ALWAYS do this. I also ALWAYS put filling around the core before I stuff it back in. Yumm-o!

Bettye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettye Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:38am
post #5 of 8

I do not use the heating core when I use the Stand Up Bear Cake. I slowly cooked my cake at 300 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes at 300 degrees. I know the directions say to use 6 cups of batter but I used about 6 1/2 cups of batter. I get a little bit of spillage but I carved that off before I removed the bear from the cake pan â while the clamps are still on and the bear looks great.

Here are my instructions - Generously grease the cake pan â lay the bear down and fill him up as much as possible â then clamp him together then stand him up and pour the rest of the batter in. When you have all of the batter in put him on a cooking rack and stand him up on his head and slowly cook him for about 1 hour and 15 min at 300 degrees.

When I use pound cake batter I use 7 cups. When I use cake batter then I use 6 to 6 ½ cups of batter.

This is a note I have to myself: remove one of the racks from the oven because the bear has to stand up while cooking.

I hope this helps. Whenever I get ready to bake the Stand Up Bear Cake I always stop and read over my instructions before I start.

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 8

I also do not bake with the core and I do not fill it anywhere near the amount they say (about to the top of his legs...a good 2 inches below the top) It fills up very well and bakes nice with no spillage. I put it on a cookie sheet and also bake at 300 for about an hour. (non convection..it does better without it) I also use extra clips (I have several bear pans)

I also have little routine for cooling it. I let it cool to the touch (I use pan grease in the pan) and then lay it face down, take its back off and wash it and dry very well. I then put some saran over it and and put it back on the bear, flip him over and then take the face off, and wash and dry it really well , put saran over it and put it back. I then lay it face down again, take the saran that is sticking out and kind of wrap it a little and put it in the freezer for a few hours. Once it is frozen, I take him out of the pan, and double wrap him and put him back in the freezer until ready to decorate. I have never had any breakage or neck problems and he is so easy to decorate while frozen!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

I have always baked it with the core, and there is always a gap/hole in his neck/throat area. I thought I'd maybe try to bake it without the core as I think it's the tip of the core touching up against the inside of the pan (the gap is in the same spot every time) that makes the hole. It's worth a shot!

I tried to decorate him while he was cold once, and I was using the fur tip. The fur would not stick to the bear. I posted a question about it on here, and I was told to let him come to room temp before trying to add the fur. That actually worked better - plus a thin crumb coat. So I've got the icing thing solved (famous last words!). I was just hoping for another way to bake it.

Thanks again,

Tracey

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%