Rice Paper, Wafer Paper, Edible Paper! Oh My!

Decorating By tree45 Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm by funbun

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #1 of 9

So I scoured northwest Ohio today in search of rice paper. I wanted to make wings. The only thing I could get was edible printing paper which I think is wafer paper. Does anyone know if this will work?? Is it too flimsy? TIA!!!

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 9

Same thing. In the past we all called the product rice paper, and indeed it may have been made from rice. The proper name for the product is Wafer Paper, and generally it's made from potato starch, I think.

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you! Thank you, thanks you!! icon_biggrin.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not sure if this is completely accurate or not, but I took a class on working with this stuff & was told that technically "Rice Paper" is made out of rice, but it is very hard to come by. "Wafer Paper" is made out of potato or flour. "Wafer paper" is the most common & easiest to get here in the USA (even if you ask for "rice Paper", that's what they give you).

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 9

Actually, they are different. I have bought rice paper, and edible image paper, and they are packaged differently and behave differently. The edible image paper I buy comes sealed in ziplock-type bags because it will dry out and become brittle when exposed to air. If this is what you purchased, I don't know if it will work well... I have printed out images and then trimmed off the excess, and when those pieces dried, they were extremely brittle and broke easily.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 9

IF its the printable paper like the stuff they use at the grocery stores be very careful it get dry and cracky REALLY fast and seems to be alil bit of a pain

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 9

Polekitten is partly right...........
Wafer paper and rice paper are one & the same thing. As has been mentioned it used to, many, many moons ago (like 30 yrs), be made from rice and now from potato starch so the name was changed to wafer paper. It is similar, if not the same, to the host used in holy communion in the catholic & some other churches.
Edible printing sheets are ultra thin sheets of fondant.
The term "Edible image" is copyrighted and we have been asked NOT to use it thus some have come up with the term 'frosting sheet' (FS) to refere to the edible printing sheets.

Wafer paper & frosting sheets can be used interchangeable to a degree. Yes, it can be used to make wings but most likely will curl some. Also it will not be as see-thru as wafer paper can be.
The two products are packaged totally different. In many shops wafer paper isn't even pkg'd icon_sad.gif It comes in a pkg of some 100 sheets w/just a clear covering of celaphane(sp?) which the store usually removes so it is totally uncovered icon_sad.gif
Frosting sheets (edible printer paper) does come in mylar ziploc bags and *must* be kept in it. It must be stored flat, and prefereable in the frig or fzr. if you want it to last more than a few hrsicon_smile.gif

There is another product called 'rice paper' that is NOT edible. It is used in art work/painting.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 9

what kakeladi said.

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 9

Great info! You answered ?? I didn't know I had! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%