I Did Something Really Dumb!!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 18 Aug 2005 , 4:35am by KayDay

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 4:54pm
post #31 of 39

Cakemommy, JennT said it the best. We're all mommies and we have about 1,000,001 other things on our minds.

I'm all the time going to my fridge to get something and I stand there with the door open wondering what I'm looking for. Then I shut the door and instantly remember!!!

One time my dad was making his famous potato soup and he put powdered sugar instead of the flour. We all ate it anyway, but he was so mad! That was probably 15 years ago but I think of it everytime I have potato soup. Hehe

I love all your stories!!! icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 5:00pm
post #32 of 39

That reminds me...one time I made Chess Squares (a really wonderful dessert that I've loved since childhood) for Christmas...batches and batches of them, and dusted them so prettily with cornstarch instead of powdered sugar. Yum!

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 5:15pm
post #33 of 39

I was baby sitting my cousins once and sent the oldest one to their upstairs kitchen to get flour for the pizza crust we were making. When she brought it down it was in a canister. I thought it looked a little funny but she was like 10 or 11 so I thought she surely knew where her mom kept the flour. Anyway we finish mixing the crust put it in the oven and it baked and baked and wasn't getting done. Finally it finished baking and we figured out we had put corn starch instead of flour in the crust mix. Being a teenager and kids we ate it anyway. It wasn't half bad either. Of course maybe that's because after we waited forever for it to cook we would have eaten anything.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 6:08pm
post #34 of 39

Ok I have to share my stories....I was making pumpkin bread one time (I make them in Coffeecans for added decoration) and when I went to add the baking powder to the mix, I noticed that it was pretty clumpy. I thought that some moisture had probably gotten into the can and that it wouldn't be as effective as it should be. So I added a little more than the recipecalled for...just in case.
OOPS!!!! I went about doing housework and when I walked into the kitchen about 20 minutes later, my best friend (lived with me at thetime) was scraping flaming batter off the bottome of the oven with a spatula! I set the whole oven on fire when the batter rose too much and fell onto the electric heating coils below the rack!
When I go to her house to visit now, she won't let me anywhere near the kithen!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 6:30pm
post #35 of 39

Okay okay okay!!!! icon_cry.gif I have to share this..... a few years ago for some reason I don't remember I set an empty Pyrex 9x9 pan on a burner on my stovetop. I think I didn't have enough counter space at the time.....anyway, I turned on the back burner to heat up a pot of noodles.....you can see where this is going....... I went back to check to see if water was boiling yet and it was stone cold. As soon as I turned my back (thankfully) I hear this LOUD explosion and I felt SHRAPNEL hitting my head. I turned on the wrong burner and ended up blowing up my Pyrex pan. It does say on the bottom of Pyrex " NOT FOR STOVETOP". Ironically that was the only piece of the pan that didn't bust into a gazillion pieces!!!!! BTW, I didn't get any cuts!!! I just had the bageebees scared out of me. Never thought I would have to take cover in my own home!

Amy

icon_biggrin.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 1:38am
post #36 of 39

OK..OK I confess! I have made coffee ( before the days of pause and serve) with the pot sitting on the counter and the coffee just went directly onto the the counter and floor. I once made my special homemade biscuits that were for a restaurant owner I was trying to impress...out of plain flour thinking it was self rising ( didn't get that job) among other embarrassing things.

But my all time fave has to be, when I was a teen ( my parents were very thrifty, ok CHEAP) and I had deep fried something which had left particles in the oil. Well, we always strained it and used it again. I had left it till it was firm again and my dad told me to turn the stove burner on for 30 seconds then off again and let it melt then pour it thru a canning strainer and put it in a container to use later. I got it a little too hot I guess then poured it thru said strainer into a (get this) PLASTIC bowl.

My dad was a farmer and we canned and froze lots of foods. Thats what we were doing this day. So dad came into the kitchen ready to help peel tomatoes or something and pressure cook them into tomato juice and had a huge pan in his hand. You can probably imagine where I am headed. The hot grease had melted thru the flimsy plastic and ran into the floor. My dad was one of these dignified, self assured men. When I turned around and saw him grease skating across the tile floor swinging that pot at everything in sight I fell over laughing. My mom who was off in another room came running but missed his acrobatic act where he was trying to regain his footing but instead was whipping that cooker against the wall and counters...and finally he lost the battle and smacked down on his butt and slid out into the hallway on his back and the almighty cooker made one final loud "thwack" on the floor. My mom calmly looks down at him and asks if he was having some kind of attack ( since his Dr. had been thinking he was developing a heart condition) and he looked up and her and made a comment I'll never forget. I cannot use it here, lets just say that it was the only time I ever heard my daddy use the " F " word. icon_twisted.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:04am
post #37 of 39

Oh KayDay, I enjoyed that immensely! Thank you for the laugh!! I had some really good images in my mind of the whole senario!

Amy

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:25am
post #38 of 39

I can't believe I missed this thread. I'm not even a mother and I've done most of these things also.

One thing I've done numerous times is take something out of the oven, lay it down somewhere and then go to move it a few minutes later - with my bare hands! I've been burned in the kitchen so many times it's ridiculous.

One of my favorite stories to tell is when I was about 10 years old. I wanted to make some Sugar Cookies by myself for the neighborhood kids. I "halved" the recipe (I would love to see those measurements now!) because I didn't want to make too many. I was careful in measuring, mixing, and baking. I then took them outside to our friends next door. The boy, who was about the same age, was so supportive and eager to taste them. Bless his heart...he told me that they were so good and that all they needed was some sugar.

icon_redface.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 4:35am
post #39 of 39

Glad you enjoyed it cakemommy. I enjoyed telling it. It made me smile remembering my dad, he has been gone for 3 years and my mom for over 5 but the little things like that memory sure do seem to bring them close to me for a little while. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%