Its Called Rent A Cake What!!!!

Decorating By jackie64 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 10:52pm by funcakes

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:02am
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

But is the average bakery wedding cake that gross? Even the expensive ones?

i just got back from a job where they paid me just to cut the cake that they got from a local bakery. What many consider an elite bakery. I managed to get a taste of the icing ... couldn't help but have an involuntary shudder go thru my body at how bad I thought it tasted. The cake itself wasn't that great either. As "upscale" as this place is considered by many, I bluntly just don't have to worry about them as real competition.

One mom told me that a facility manager told her most wedding cake goes in the trash. I told the mom, "Ironically, as many events as I've done at that place, they've been catering only ... no cake ... so that mgr hasn't tasted my cake .... and MY cake doesn't end up in the trash!" (seriously it doesn't ... my staff is trained to let me know what's left on the plates when they gather the plates up. If there was cake left on those plates, I'd know about it! icon_twisted.gif )

Don't ya just feel sorry for those brides who have a non-CC'er make their grand wedding cake!

Another reason there might be 75% of the cake leftover is because the brides do what the magz's tell them ... and wait until freakin' midnight to cut the dang cake! Most of their guests have left and the ones that are left are too loaded with booze to want cake! Plus those brides who are told they need to order cake for 125% of the total number invited! (how stupid do you have to be to believe THAT one?).

Wouldn't you really like to have a one-on-one with that lady to talk about a little reality in the cake world? I would! icon_wink.gif

JMSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMSweets Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:53pm
post #32 of 39

These are the newest craze right now especially for those on a low budget wedding. You plan it like any other wedding cake but to save cost you have a fake cake and then you cut up sheet cakes that match the theme.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #33 of 39

Oh, have I just suffered a head injury????? I woke up this morning to find out that after lobbying for the banning of styrofoam, a styrofoam cake is now GREEN???
I am sorry to be gross, but real cake is green-eat it, enjoy it, digest it, (the cycle of organic material)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:37am
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

I am sorry to be gross, but real cake is green-eat it, enjoy it, digest it, (the cycle of organic material)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif classic! absolutely classic!!!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:17am
post #35 of 39
Quote:

Oh, have I just suffered a head injury????? I woke up this morning to find out that after lobbying for the banning of styrofoam, a styrofoam cake is now GREEN???

SSSSoooooo true... natural is always best... hehehe says me who works on a dairy farm and has fresh cows milk ad lib... and to be gross as you put it... milk is only there because of the GREEN grass hehehe..

JMSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMSweets Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #36 of 39

The only thing that the rental cakes does it cut the cost to the bride and groom. There is still one piece of real cake so that they can "cut the cake". then they roll it into the back and cut up sheet cakes for their guests to have.

No one at the reception is any wiser that its a fake cake. It can be a replica of a $1000 cake but only cost them $200. Its more for the lower budget weddings that want to look higher end.

These cakes will last for a long time. I dont understand why people are having such a hard time understanding this. These are not used because the local bakery cake sucks.....its all about cost. icon_confused.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:30am
post #37 of 39

I don't understand why those who think it's cheaper think it's cheaper.

If someone came to me and asked if they could rent a dummy that I already had made up, I could see where it would be cheaper. If I have to create one ...a specified design, it ain't cheaper...it will be charged the same as cake cake.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 9:09pm
post #38 of 39
Quote:

Thank you!! I was going to say do you know how much energy goes into the production of styrofoam (not to mention all of the chemicals)?? In our area, the recycling company still won't take styrofoam (big issue around here). And they have the nerve to say it's GREEN??

Last time I checked, REAL cake was much more environmentally friendly - yes, you have to bake it, but at least it's "recycled" naturally!!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:52pm
post #39 of 39

I wonder how often the same cake can be rented. I went to a Bridal Expo with my daughter a while back and a ton of bakeries had booths there. They were serving samples of their cake, and most of them had dummy cakes to show their fabulous gum paste decorating skills, etc. So, of course I had to get up close and personal with the dummy cakes and I noticed most of them were dusty. That's fine for an expo-but at your wedding???
Every bride has a budget and should spend money on the things that are important to her. My niece spent a lot of money on flowers, my daughter had very, very few flowers (see works with a lot of people who have allergies to different plants and flowers) To each their own-If a cake in not important-fine. What confuses me is all the expert opinions published as "the thing to DO!" rather than just a suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%