How Do I Sweeten...

Decorating By bobhope Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 3:52pm by bobhope

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 5

my ganache?i think my supplier sent me a different kind of chocolate than the previous one i got from them.the characters in the box are in japanese so it's really hard to tell.anyway,when i made ganache using the first bought chocolate, i noticed that the ganache tasted bitter.but after chilling the ganache coverred cake, it really tasted good..then came my second order/batch of chocolate bars, & just delivered a ganache covered cake to my customer earlier using the newly arrived batch. i noticed the ganache tasted a bit more bitter than the first bought, but i was thinking that maybe it will taste good once chilled..she texted me earlier saying that the frosting is bitter (i wasn't able to chill it well prior to delivery).i told her to let it sit first in the ref/chiller for several hours...now, i'm panicking coz what if it still taste the same the next day?.i promised her i'd replace the cake if it still taste the same.this is her repeat order..is it possible to add something into the ganache like sugar, glucose or whatever to sweeten it? please help. she's a good customer & been referring me to her friends & family...sorry, this is long.. icon_sad.gif

4 replies
lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 5

Heres a recipie from our site, it does have sugar, posted the recipe so you can see the ratio, HTH

Chocolate Ganache 1

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Fillings, Frostings
Difficulty: Easy

If you use these proportions your semi sweet ganache pipes beautifully and has texture of truffles, but must refrigerate for at least 1 hour before piping

8 oz (240ml) cream
1 tbls butter (optional but makes it stay really shiny even after refrigerating)
1 oz sugar
12 oz (340 g)chocolate

Footnote
White chocolate use nearly double the chocolate to cream
240 ml cream
455 g white chocolate

Break chocolate into 1/2 oz pieces and place in stainless steel bowl
Heat cream, butter and sugar to boiling. Pour over chocolate and let stand 5 minutes. Stir from center out until smooth. After refrigerating 1 hour then fill your piping bag
Or use to ice your cake by pouring or spreading (allow to cool to room temp first)
Source:
Contributed by: cheftaz on Thursday, February 09. 2006 at 20:32:25

More Recipes of cheftaz

Please take a second and rate this recipe:
Average score: 4.81 ()
Votes: 94

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #3 of 5

Hey! I'm Alana in Michigan, too! I always told my mom she should have spelled my name like you spell yours becaue NOBODY ever knows how to pronounce my name! Thanks for sharing the recipes.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:43am
post #4 of 5

I'm embarrassed to ask this but my desire to learn is stronger than my ego, so here goes! (I'm just diving into all of this) Can ganache be used to cover cake balls, or does it stay too soft? I love the smooth shiny look of it; I've never tasted it though. TIA!

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 5

hi alaina,
thanks for the help & sharing the recipe...as i mentioned earlier the characters were in japanese but i discovered that there were 2 english letters at the side of the box.out of the 4 boxes 1 box has letters that were exactly the same as my very first purchase. it turned out the one box w/ the ck on it is semisweet & the one w/ L1 is dark.i had to try using both to know which is which icon_rolleyes.gif & i had to tell the supplier as they too didn't know what kind of chocolates they were selling, weird, i know.. icon_rolleyes.gif...thank God the customer didn't get mad at me, didn't even feel the need for a refund nor a replacement..so i just sent her a smaller version of the cake w/ the "right" chocolate ganache icon_biggrin.gif ..again thank you...

callysa, yes you may use ganache to cover cake balls.refrigerate after for ganache to set well icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%