What Is Everyone's Favorite Buttercream And Why?

Decorating By absijails Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 3:04pm by Homemade-Goodies

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 10

I've been trying different BC recipes and find them all to be so different. Then when I read through the forums here so many people say "I use this" or "I use that."

SO - what is your preferred BC and, most importantly, why? (And if you use different BCs for different things that's good to know, too!)

TIA

9 replies
absijails Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 10

Oh! I forgot to say - if there is a thread out there about this already, I didn't find it. If you know where it is, just point me in that direction.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 10

there are some threads, just give me some time, I am not a computer wiz!

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 10

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-595799.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601614.html

Sorry, I can't find others, I have been watching Buttercream threads, because I find the powdered sugar/crisco one too sweet, and people fine the meringue types to buttery, I prefer the buttery, but have not used it much, because I am not a pro, just for fun!
The sugar/crisco lasts longer, so that is why I use it most.

absijails Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks! These answered a lot of questions!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 10

I like mine icon_lol.gif

It's made with butter and crisco, just enough crisco to give it stability while the butter gives it a nice flavor. I use cream or half and half as my liquid because I think it makes it creamier. It is sweet, but not TOO sweet. And unfortunately it is addicting icon_lol.gif I use my recipe for everything, frosting, filling, decorating.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 10

I like swiss meringue buttercream. If you use all unsalted butter it doesn't taste like butter at all. I can't stand powdered sugar based icings. Too sweet and slightly gritty in the mouth. SMBC is like stiffly whipped whipped cream.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

I like mine icon_lol.gif

It's made with butter and crisco, just enough crisco to give it stability while the butter gives it a nice flavor. I use cream or half and half as my liquid because I think it makes it creamier. It is sweet, but not TOO sweet. And unfortunately it is addicting icon_lol.gif I use my recipe for everything, frosting, filling, decorating.

This frosting is really good. I love the texture. I love mixing oreo cookies into this. Actually the other day I didn't hae oreos and I made it with nutter butters mmmmm so yummy!

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:30am
post #9 of 10

Im new, but i tried Buttercream dream, you can get it here on cc . Ive tried alot of bc recipes this one taste soo good. Ive heard sugarshacks is really good too, but I havent gotten to try it yet.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 10

I am using a Bavarian cream based buttercream right now, Swiss Meringue Buttercream now, and only the "American" Crisco/powdered sugar type for some decorations.

The Bavarian cream one tastes of slightly melty ice cream, not so horribly sweet and has a really nice consistency. Using the egg based SMBC still makes me nervous, though it really is very nice tasting. And no one here enjoys the American style buttercream...well, actually including myself. Tooooo sweet. I use it alone for decorations on a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%