Sculpting Cake

Decorating By preciosa225 Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 1:09pm by Lady_Phoenix

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:35am
post #1 of 7

I was wondering what is the best kind of cake to use when sculpting? And if you have and tried/reliable recipes please do share! I am new to sculpting and am very eager to sculpt a cake but my first try was a disaster. The cake seemed to be too moist and although it was ok at first, it slowly but surely collapsed! Even before I got to finish frosting it and laying the fondant on! Please help; any tips and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

6 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:07am
post #2 of 7

You need a really firm filling. Chocolate Ganache works well, so does a real Buttercream. Keep putting it back in the fridge to keep it firm. Make sure that you put supports in EVERY 4 inches, whether you think it needs it or not.
Good luck! I know you can do it!!!

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:34am
post #3 of 7

If I'm making a cake for sculpting I always throw an instant pudding mix in the cake when I bake it, it makes it a more dense cake, better for cutting up and sculpting, also make sure you use butter and milk in your recipe instead of oil and water, the fat helps keep it together it seems.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:34am
post #4 of 7

From what I've read here on CC you need to use pound cake or something similar in density.

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much for your help (all). I will give it another try! Keep your fingers crossed! icon_smile.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 7

Would a WASC work? I'm also curious.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 7

I use wasc to carve most of the time. Just make sure its well chilled for extra firmness and minimal crumbs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%