Belly Cake Dress Pattern?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm by doitallmom

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:48am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know of a pattern for the belly cake dress? Or is it done freehand? Any help is appreciated.

8 replies
Kimskakes23336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimskakes23336 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 9

I also need a "pattern" or template for the belly cake dress.

babybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybelle Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 9

I'm planning on making a Belly Cake in November, I have read that most people have been doing the dress freehand and making it in 2 parts, the skirt, and then the top and just connecting the 2 parts with something decrative to cover like a band and bow, I am going to sketch it out first and then cut. HTH

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 9

babybelle -

That's exactly what I did with the two belly cakes I've made. I rolled out my fondant, placed it over the belly part, then took a pair of kitchen shears and cut the "dress" so that it covered the belly and most of that corner of the sheet cake underneath. I hope this helps. It's actually a very easy cake to pull off icon_smile.gif.
LL

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 9

The way that I have done my belly cakes is lay a piece of paper towel or wax paper over the belly once it is on the sheet cake. Cut out how I would like it and use that as my pattern to cut the fondant. I do two pieces one for the skirt and one for the top. I find it hard for a pattern because my belly is always a different sizes each time.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 9

I printed out a cake from CC and then enlarged it to fit on my cake. I then made the printed copy into a template and cut around the fondant. It works really well to do it that way. Just make certain the picture you are printing out is fairly centered over the cake. Otherwise you will have to adjust the height of the upper portion to keep it from being smaller than the bottom section.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 9

I printed out a cake from CC and then enlarged it to fit on my cake. I then made the printed copy into a template and cut around the fondant. It works really well to do it that way. Just make certain the picture you are printing out is fairly centered over the cake. Otherwise you will have to adjust the height of the upper portion to keep it from being smaller than the bottom section.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybelle

I have read that most people have been doing the dress freehand and making it in 2 parts, the skirt, and then the top and just connecting the 2 parts with something decrative to cover like a band and bow, I am going to sketch it out first and then cut. HTH

Its's much easier making it in two pieces.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 9

Another option is to find a pic of an actual top/dress style that you like, print it out and use that as your pattern. You'll still have to place the templaste over your belly to adjust for size of course!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%