Diamond/quilting Impressions

Decorating By mclean Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm by lovinkakes

mclean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclean Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:07am
post #1 of 9

I have been looking through the galleries at some photos of beautiful cakes with diamond impressions (or quilting?) on them. Could someone please tell me how to get this effect both using buttercream and fondant? Thank you!

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:28am
post #2 of 9

There are places that sell a piece of plastic w/the impression. As I recall it's only about $5. Just place it against the icing & pressicon_smile.gif

You could do it yourself but you have to be very careful to mark it out just right. I don't remember exactly but you would mark both the top & bottom (maybe) 2" apart - not sure maybe 1 1/2". Now take a ruler that has one edge padded w/a well folded paper towel and press it from one mark on top to one over on the bottom so it slants. Don't try to do this w/o marking the spacing or you will end up w/it off by the time you get around the whole cake. Then you go back again, doing it w/the slant the other way.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:43am
post #3 of 9

for bc, I use a skewer to make the quilt look. every so often I have to dip it in p.sugar so it doesn't stick and it pulls away clean. Here's a pic of one I did this way (bottom tier): http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1250796

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #4 of 9

great question... do you think that the skewer would work on fondant. i am not comfortable with buttercream yet, so, most of my decorating is done with fondant, but I wanted to try quilting. i know about the mats, but i have enough trouble with fondant sticking.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:13am
post #5 of 9

Jennifer Dontz has a diamond quilter here's the link to it:http://jenniferdontz.com/estore.php?category=tools/supplies

I'm not sure if there are other suppliers who carry it.

Kelley

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #6 of 9

Follow the long edge of a right triangle with a quilting wheel in even intervals around the cake, then flip it and go around the other way. I prefer this to an impression mat because i can make the pattern any size I like without having to have multiple mats.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:24am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Follow the long edge of a right triangle with a quilting wheel in even intervals around the cake, then flip it and go around the other way. I prefer this to an because i can make the pattern any size I like without having to have multiple mats.

That's a great idea! Took me a minute to figure out what you were saying but once I did I liked! icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the Jennifer Dontz link! That's a great reference to have!

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 9

I just bought this one a couple of weeks ago for my last cake:

www. shop bakers nook.com /m5_view_item.html?m5:item=4506

It was $5.99 and I got it in two days with no extra expedited shipping charge or anything. Two days. No tax (although I have to pay a user tax in Colorado).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%