Tiered Cake ???s

Decorating By kewaters Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 1:42am by kewaters

kewaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kewaters Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 9

So I am attempting my first tiered cake. I just wanted to double check a couple things before I put this all together....

I am doing a 2 tier cake, bottom is (2) 8-inch cakes and the top is (2) 6-inch cakes.

These are my ?s:

-I know I will need to put dowels in the bottom layer...how many do you need for an 8-inch cake
-Is there a chart somewhere that has a suggestion of the # dowels per layer based on size?
-Do I need to put a separator in between the 2 layers, i.e. 6-in cake board, or can I just stack the cake on cake?

Thanks in advance

8 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, you need dowels. 4 should do it for that size.

Yes, you also need a cake separator. Otherwise, I think the dowels could just push into the layer above if it starts to sink.

Cherie206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherie206 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 9

I put at least 5-6 dowels in my 8" cakes. I haven't heard of any chart, but that would be great if someone knew of one. If your 6" cake is on a cake board, then you don't need to add another one, (you do have to have a board between the dowels and the next cake layer or you will have a disaster.)

Hope I was helpful icon_smile.gif

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 9

I remember someone on here saying that however many inches the cake that is going on top is-is the number of dowels that will go into the cake under it. So in your case you should put 6 dowels since it's a 6" cake going on top.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:07am
post #5 of 9

Is it too late to turn you on to SPS instead of dowels?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:16am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Trying to break a "bad" habit before it starts Leah? hehehe I'm starting to think you own SPS stock (if not, they should give you some lol).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:26am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Trying to break a "bad" habit before it starts Leah? hehehe I'm starting to think you own SPS stock (if not, they should give you some lol).

Actually, yes!! If I could just get everyone started out "right" there'd be no more leaning or fallen cakes.

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #8 of 9

As Leah said the SPS is best but if you cant get it in time here is a chart from All in one bake shop.
http://www.allinonebakeshop.com/documents/AIOBStieredcakeconstruction.pdf

Hope this helps,
Polly

kewaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kewaters Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:42am
post #9 of 9

Thank you everyone for your help!!!!

I have heard of the SPS systems on here, but haven't looked into them too much. I will try to look around for them tomorrow, but don't know if I'll be able to come across by Sunday when I need the cake. But, moving forward I think it might be a good idea since so many CCers recommend them. Thanks again for everyone's help!

If it turns out alright I'll try to post a picture icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%