May Be A Silly Question, But Worth Asking Anyway!

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm by sweetneice

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 7

Hey guys! I was looking at a picture of a wilton wedding cake and wanted to know one question.......Does everybody use 4 layers for a wedding cake or can you use 2 or 3 if using a deep pan? What works the best?

6 replies
baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 7

I dont believe everyone uses 4 layers. it's probably what you want to use. I know I use 4 but thats the way I do mine. I have done one that is 7 layers, well it was just a cake not for a wedding though.

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 7

I dont believe everyone uses 4 layers. it's probably what you want to use. I know I use 4 but thats the way I do mine. I have done one that is 7 layers, well it was just a cake not for a wedding though.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 7

Most times, I use 2-2inch layers that are split and filled making 4 layers.

I have used 3-2 inch layers and I've used 2-3 inch layers for tall tiers. But I've yet to use 3-3 inch layers.

I like icing throughout my cake is why I choose to split and fill. There's no have-tos. If you like 2 layers with filling between...do it that way.

If you have pans that aren't quite 2 inches, I would use 2 1/2-3 for visual...daggumit! I can't think of that word! To be visually appealing...

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 7

No question is every silly, someone else may want to know the answer.

Their are some style of cakes that may have a 3- 4 baked layer cakes to add some effect to the style they are making (usually the bottom tier).

Most cakes are two baked round/squares/hexagon/heart layers (some people cut those layers to have three layers of filling and some just put filling in between the the baked cakes). Sheet cakes are hardly every doubled but sliced in half for the filling.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 7

I bake 3 layers with 2 layers of filling. I was trained that way and just like the look, so I continue like that.

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you guys so much for all the help! I did the cake and I did 4 layers and it turned out beautifully. Although it was quite tall, it still looked beautiful! Once again thanks! Now I have to get over my fear of stacking a cake for 2 october weddings! UGH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%