Rolled Buttercream Question

Baking By shiney Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 12:42pm by janebrophy

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 20

So, I've never used RBC before, but want to give it a try. The only recipe I saw on CC called for orange oil and lemon oil. Is there a recipe that does not include that? I live in small town, haven't seen it at our wal-mart. You RI and Toba glace users, have you ever tried RBC? thumbs_up.gif or thumbsdown.gif ? Your thoughts?
Thanks
Shiney

19 replies
janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 20

I was just wondering the same thing! What is orange/lemon oil?? The only lemon oil I know of is the stuff I use to clean my wood furniture! LOL

shiney Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 20

Jane, I couldn't actually find the oils at our wal-mart, but I did find another recipe on the net that does not call for that.
I think I worded my question wrong, I was hoping for some feedback on RBC, it looks nice, It looks like it's icing like is on cakes, I think it would taste fabulous on a cookie! I'm wondering if it has to set before adding RI decor, so the colors won't bleed. Anyone?

janebrophy Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 20

Shiney,
Not sure if it has to set, I'm actually getting ready to use it tomorrow for the first time. I'm going to try it on cookies. Where did you find the recipe, if you don't mind my asking. Not to hijack your thread, but at least it'll give you a bump! Incidentally, I bought orange and lemon extract, thought I'd try them out, as I couldn't find the oils...

shiney Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 20

Jane, I'm going to give it a shot today. I think it was on allrecipes.com (?), I just googled rolled buttercream and saw that one.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant/Detail.aspx
Hope that link worked

janebrophy Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks,
Let me know how it works out!

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 20

I usually just flavor mine with vanilla, and almond extract to taste....it tastes very good on a cookie...and seems to soften the cookie a bit...which I like!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 20

i have made marsha winbecklers rolled buttercream recipe ... i used the clear vanilla and the clear butter flavoring... you can use any flavoring... of course if you want it white , don,t use the dark flavorings... the chocolate recipe is delicious... i love the taste of both.. i have tried the orange oil and lemon oil also... that is good too. so just play with the flavorings.. to cove a cake . you roll it out between 2 peices of plastic. has always worked good for me... also on cookies....

janebrophy Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 20

Icer101 - who is Marsha Winbeckler, and where do I find the recipe?? Is it available on line? I'm going to try the rolled bc recipe on CC today...

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 20

Rolled buttercream is great for cookies! You can use the same cutter as the ookie to cut a piece then put it on a warm cookie. It will melt slightly to stick. SOooomuch easier and neater than RI

janebrophy Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 20

I just tried this and I think I love it! I am having trouble getting the icing to stick. It looks stuck, but seems to come apart when eating it. Any thoughts?

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

I just tried this and I think I love it! I am having trouble getting the icing to stick. It looks stuck, but seems to come apart when eating it. Any thoughts?

Did you put it on while it was hot? That should make it adhere. I haven't used RBC, but I have used fondant and MMF.

shiney Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 20

I used the RBC on my heart cookies recently uploaded, and I loved it! It was easy to work with, and I 'glued' it onto cooled cookie with corn syrup, worked fine. I even 'glued' a good sized small cookie to the RBC with syrup, and it stayed on beautifully. I really liked the RBC, it is a nice neat cookie, and you can decorate it right away. Passed the taste test with my kids and co-workers, so win-win!

janebrophy Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 20

I'm not getting notices of replies to topics for some reason...

Oh well,
I did put it on while the cookies were warm, maybe not warm enough? I read somewhere that if you put it on while the cookie is hot, the icing turns greasy?? I do love this though, I've never decorated cookies before, but I can totally see how people get hooked on them! They are so cute and detailed! I need to get out more! LOL!
Shiney, love the heart cookies!

shiney Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #15 of 20

Ah, thanks for the comment, Jane, but have a look at newatdecorating hearts, buh-utiful!
I think it's MMF that you are supposed to put on warm cookie -- it's the marshmellow that melts.
I know when my RBC got warm, it got greasy -- it's the crisco. A tip I got here was roll out your RBC, put in freezer for a bit, then cut and 'glue' on cookie, or cut it out before putting it in freezer, easier to work with that way.

janebrophy Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #16 of 20

You are too modest, I love your cookies, they're great!
So, to "glue" the RBC on, I just "paint" them with corn syrup?
And, just out of curiosity, how thin do you roll your RBC? I think mine it too thick...

shiney Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:11am
post #17 of 20

Jane, I had the same problem with my first couple of RBC cookies, I rolled it too thick. One of my kids thought it was just right, but me and the other felt an immediate sugar rush! On a couple of them, I actually rolled them a bit after cutting with cookie cutter, carful to do it evenly, and it fit the cookie better (since the baked cookie was bigger). So, yes, thin is better, I think.

I had a little cup of syrup there, dipped a brush in and put several big drops of syrup on the cookie as glue (I think putting it on the cookie is easier than putting it on the RBC. I actually brushed some syrup on top of a couple of cookies and put crystal sugar and edible glitter, worked great. Good luck, can't wait to see your results! And thanks for the kind words
Shiney

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:15pm
post #18 of 20

I use orange extract all the time, you do not have to use orange oil. I always put in 1/2 of what the recipe calls for vanilla and the other 1/2 orange extract plus a drop or two!!! yummy! I also do the same in the NFSC recipe

shiney Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #19 of 20

Tricia, thanks for the tip. I just broke out and got some extracts, I used almond today, and I've got some orange and black (school colors) coming up for homecoming, and thought I'd use some orange and some cocoa in the black and brown for football. Nothing better than choco orange,BUT it's for 2nd graders, not sure they will appreciate the taste. Wacha think?
Shiney

janebrophy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:42pm
post #20 of 20

Sounds delish! I used the orange extract, and almond. They were great, but I could have added more. The corn syrup worked really well to adhere the RBC. Note to self, the recipe for NFSC makes a LOT of cookies!! I'm up to my eyeballs LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%