How Do I Make These Flowers?

Decorating By smbegg Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm by aswartzw

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 11

How would you make these flowers? What tip? Do you start at the end or center of the flower to make the petal?

I am not sure if I am attaching this right?

Stephanie

10 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 11

sorry, no attachment

smbegg Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #3 of 11

Does this work?
LL

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:36am
post #4 of 11

Hmmm it's taking a while to load.

Can you attach it so it just shows up when you start on the thread instead of having to click to load?

Click on Add an attachment
type in the name/location of the file OR browse to find it.
Then click on Add Attachment

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #5 of 11

This looks to me like they are cut from fondant. HTH

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:39am
post #6 of 11

Just a guess, but it looks as though it could be tip 12. I'd say do it similar to how a shell is made without the lift.

smbegg Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:58am
post #7 of 11

I know that they are bc, I am just unsure how to make them. Would a petal tip work and make a u shape?

Stephanie

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:06am
post #8 of 11

I agree it is a round tip and that it is buttercream but I think it if more like a #10.

You start on the outside and bring it towards the center of the flower. Let the icing build up a little, like sandykay said, similar to a shell, then pull it down sharply at the center so it is down in the center and built up on the outer edges. Go all around the flower that way, keeping it low in the center of the flower. The border is made with the same tip and you make it the same as the shell border.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:19am
post #9 of 11

OK, the photo came back again so I can see it. It disappeared on me for awhile.

Actually I think it is probably a #5 they used. I think they used the same tip for the flowers, border and scrolls. It really doesn't make a lot of difference which round tip you use. Squeeze harder if the tip is small and less if the tip is big. It kind of depends on how large you want your flowers to be.

After you have gone around the flower and made all 5 petals, you make the contrasting dot in the center. The main thing you want to keep in mind is not to let the icing build up in the center, really taper those petals down to nothing by the time you get to the center, and do not let the icing overlap in the center. Otherwise, when you put the contrasting dot in the center it will be sticking up too high and won't look right.

Jean

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 11

My 1st thought was to agree w/BCJean........BUT.....
look closely at the flower on the top....there is a crease in the center of each petal which leads me to believe they are made from fondant.
They probably are little balls w/one end thinned out &/or cut down.
Also look at the ends of most of the scrolls/swirls....
they have thin tips like one would get when soft fondant is pulled away from the rest of the roll.

NOW........ this does NOT mean you could not come up w/a very similar looking cake using b'creamicon_smile.gif
Following jean's basic instructions I would very lightly mark out a circle about the size of a nickle (quarter?) so you can keep the flower even in size & spacing.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 11

I think BCJean has the best idea. I also vote that it's BC. Some of the scrolls on the cake have breaks in them like BC. The pull-aways also look like pull-aways that you can get with BC.

To get the creases in the center, you can probably do a round tip in the same way that you would your basic RI flowers. Sort of like a violet leaf but without the squiggles at the top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%