Coconut Macaroon Cookies- Help Please

Baking By Rochelle1 Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 5:49am by Rochelle1

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 3

I made macaroon cookies by whisking the egg whites and adding flour and they came out more like lady fingers. Light and fluffy. I had to bake them long and lower oven so they would not burn. I did them over using a recipe without the flour. But they wanted me to roll them and they were way too moist. They puffed up real nice in oven but they said to take them out golden brown. When I did they fell. Inside is moist and chewy but they can not come of grease paper, even though I brushed it with shortening so it would not stick.

The coconut macaroons in the bake shops are chewier and they hold a round kinda ball shape.

What am I doing wrong?

2 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #2 of 3

Hello, Rochelle1!

I cannot tell you what you are doing wrong. I do not use a recipe with flour in it for my coconut macaroons.

That being said, I will tell you what I do and do not.

I do not use grease when baking macaroons. Grease will deflate the meringue, the same way that it will ruin Royal Icing if it is on the beater or in the bowl. I use plain parchment paper, no grease, on my cookie sheets. The meringues come right off, when they cool enough to stay together.

Here is a link to the recipe I use. As I said before, it has never failed me since I found it, back in 2002.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_19024_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 5:49am
post #3 of 3

Thank you Playingwithsugar, I was wondering if they wouldn't be a tad bit lighter but moist if I used the method that whisks in the begining.

Will try ur method however. Thanks once more you are wonderful. icon_smile.gif
Rochelle

PS will let u know outcome

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%