Cake Prep Questions

Decorating By Katilia Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 5:09am by Katilia

Katilia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katilia Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:44am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone! It's me again, the one that really hates fondant! icon_biggrin.gif
Anyway, I am making three cakes for my brother's wedding, the wedding is on the 20th. The cakes are not very big, I am going to make some sheet cakes and also I am making cookies.

My questions are...

How far in advance should I make the cakes? I was planning on doing them on the 15th, is that too far in advance? I usually just do my cakes the day before but since I have so much to do I wasn't sure how early I should bake them.

Should I freeze the cakes if I bake them five days ahead of time? I'm afraid of the textures changing if I freeze them, but I don't think they'd be good in the fridge that long.

Also, does anyone have a good White Chocolate Amaretto Ganache recipe?

11 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:03am
post #2 of 12

I have a cake for the 20th. I plan on baking on the 18 (let my cake settle)and ice and decorate on the 19th. you can't bake earlier than this, I try to keep the cake as fresh as possible. I don't have a recipe for you try the FoodNetwork a lot of their recipes have reviews I usually go for a recipes with most great reviews.Good Luck!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:52am
post #3 of 12

I had to make 18 2 layer 8" cakes for a wedding, one per table and I baked them all one week ahead of time and froze them all. I defrosted them and decorated 2 days ahead. They were fresh and delicious. You may also be able to make your cookies ahead and freeze them as well.

Good luck

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:05am
post #4 of 12

As long as you wrap them really well in plastic wrap and then foil, there is no reason you can't freeze them, actually I think it makes them better. When you unthaw it, let them unthaw IN the plastic wrap, so that the moisture goes back into the cake. It really does keep them super fresh and yummy! I always try and freeze my cakes first.

Katilia Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:56am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztomcat

I had to make 18 2 layer 8" cakes for a wedding, one per table and I baked them all one week ahead of time and froze them all. I defrosted them and decorated 2 days ahead. They were fresh and delicious. You may also be able to make your cookies ahead and freeze them as well.

Good luck

How far ahead of time do you defrost them? Also, do you level them before you freeze them? Do you keep your cakes in the fridge until the day of delivery? Will there be condensation on the fondant if I keep it in the fridge?

I do plan on freezing the cookies, I may actually make them this Saturday.

Katilia Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:59am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoos

As long as you wrap them really well in plastic wrap and then foil, there is no reason you can't freeze them, actually I think it makes them better. When you unthaw it, let them unthaw IN the plastic wrap, so that the moisture goes back into the cake. It really does keep them super fresh and yummy! I always try and freeze my cakes first.

do you know if there's any difference between freezing cake mix cakes and scratch cakes? I'll be making some of each.

amoos Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:43am
post #7 of 12

Pretty sure there is no difference, freezing is freezing....as long as you wrap VERY well and then thaw in the wrap before you remove it, is should work great.....good luck! icon_smile.gif

DebraDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraDough Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 9:24am
post #8 of 12

I'm a big fan of freezing the cakes too and also agree that wrapping them well is extrememly important. I think frozen cakes have more moisture than "fresh" when they are thawed out as previously recommended. For scratch cakes it seems to even improve the flavor a bit. Of course everyone has their own ideas...just giving you mine. Oh...Amoos that is just the cutest baby I've ever seen...except maybe of course one of my own. Give that baby a little squeeze from me..I just love babies.

amoos Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 10:54am
post #9 of 12

Thanks Debra....sadly he's not that tiny little baby anymore, about to have his 1st b/day in Oct! Boy, time sure does fly!!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:33am
post #10 of 12

Not a friend of fondant either, it hates me. Anyway, here's a link to chocolate ganache with white choc directions. I would just add amaretto flavored oil to that.Sounds yummy. Good luck with all that baking. icon_smile.gifChocolate Ganache 1 in the recipie section HTH

DebraDough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraDough Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 12

My baby is fifteen. He is six feet one inch and weighs about 190. Time does indeed fly. My oldest is almost 29 and I was 26 when I had her. Crazy. As far as the fondant struggles I would encourage you guys that have trouble to just keep working with the "dough" until you get it the right consistency. I add powdered sugar, corn startch,shortening, whatever it feels like it needs until it works right. I acutally mixed some candy clay and some MMF together the other day and it worked really well. Sometimes when I just can't get it to handle right I just throw it in the trash and start over. I don't know why when I do exactly the same thing over and over again it never seems to just BE the same over and over again. Maybe it's because I am sleep walking through a lot of my life. : - ( I need more rest! Blessings to each of you. Debra

Katilia Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:09am
post #12 of 12

thank you everyone for your replies, you have all been very helpful icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%