Should I Freeze The Cake Or Place It In The Fridge??

Decorating By Iva1976 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 4:11am by mqguffey

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:39am
post #1 of 5

I just baked 2 10in square white cakes and I am wondering if I should freeze it or put it in the fridge? I need to frost and lay fondant on it tomorrow in the afternoon, where do I store it?

I'm new to cake decorating and this will be my first real cake I lay fondant on. Not sure what filling to use, I dont want to use something that will ooze out of the cake......Any recommendations?

4 replies
VickiChicki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiChicki Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:58am
post #2 of 5

OK - This is just from my own personal experience - you do not need to freeze or refrgerate if you are covering the very next day - just wrap the cakes well in plastic wrap.
As far as filling goes - be sure to pipe a "dam" around the perimeter of the cake, then place your filling inside that to make sure it does not ooze out. Put top layer on...
then ice cake! icon_biggrin.gif

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #3 of 5

I would freeze, I've found frozen and thawed cakes to be so moist. Just pull out an hour or two before leveling and icing.

For white cake, i love a thin layer of raspberry jam. But that may be just me, most people seem to prefer buttercream icon_smile.gif

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:05am
post #4 of 5

I don't think it is mandatory that you do either just for one night. The cake should be fine sitting out on the counter. I would wrap it in Saran Wrap or Press N Seal though. I refrigerate all of my cakes because it makes them easier to handle and seems to cut down on the crumbs.

As far as fillings go you can use almost anything as long as you make a good sturdy dam of icing between the layers. I set aside some extra icing and add a good amount of powdered sugar to it. It should be almost thick enough to have to knead with your hands. Put it in a piping bag without a tip and there you go. Sometimes I have trouble with it sticking to the cake, just press it with your finger.

I don't have any advice for the fondant. I have never used it to cover a cake. Good luck!

HTH

Kim

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:11am
post #5 of 5

Hey, when you get ready to cover the cakes, remember this on those square corners. You know how you would lift a wedding dress train to fluff, that's kind of how you deal with the corners, sort of lifting the fondant and smoothing.

here's a link:
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/square-rolled-fondant.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%