Stupid Hurricanes... How Long Can Cakes Stay Frozen?

Decorating By tuffstuff Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 12:21am by CakeMakar

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:01am
post #31 of 35

Hope everyone is safe!
My cousin is down there, she had to stay because they couldn't get everyone out in time (traffic). They were told it was safer to stay - more people are injured (or worse) when they get stuck. We haven't heard from her at all, so the whole family is attached to the news, calling each other.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:34pm
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I guess that's why we're all different. My motto is: if I wouldn't feed it to my family or eat it myself, I certainly wouldn't sell it to a customer and risk my reputation.

LOL, you wouldn't eat a cake that's been in a freezer for 4 months? icon_rolleyes.gif

That's ridiculous, and especially more so if you are NOT speaking from experience.

I've been doing this for 10 years and would likewise not risk my reputation and business by doing something that I felt would degrade the quality of my product. That's kinda stating the obvious there.

To again, answer your question...Nope I would not.
I've been doing cakes since 1985...I think that qualifies me to have an opinion, also. I've pretty much tried out every freezing scenerio there is over the years. Especially when my kids were babies and I had to bake all my orders way ahead of time.
That's the great thing about CC we hear a lot of different ideas from what others do. Some we agree with some we may not. You gave your opinion which I respectfully disagree with and I gave mine (and Dede Wilson's), which you called ridiculous. You don't have to agree with everything, but you shouldn't call it ridiculous if it differs from your opinion.

When I married in 1988, we froze our top layer which was white cake w/BC filling and frosting for our 1st Anniversary....was it edible? Sure, it was...but it definitely didn't taste like the original did on our wedding day. I'm not saying it Cannot be done, I'm saying I don't do it comfortably.

I guess I should add I am a 90% from scratch baker, and that definitely makes a difference. My recipes don't really freeze well for longer than that, believe me I've tried. I do use the foodsaver vacuum sealer, and that's a great appliance.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #33 of 35

CakeMakar--
Sending prayers to your family. Let us know when you hear from them.

CakeMakar Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:01am
post #34 of 35

Thanks, Mac! No word yet. icon_sad.gif

CakeMakar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #35 of 35

We heard from her today! She is safe, as is her boyfriend she lives with. They have no power still, but do have gas so they can cook & have heat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%