Cookie Bouquets...what Am I Doing Wrong??

Baking By Rhonda19 Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 6:10am by xstitcher

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to make my niece a Cookie Bouquet, but I am doing something wrong!

I am rolling my cookies to about 1/4 thick, and using a thin wooden skewer that has been cut off. I inserted it into the cookie and baked...but the skewer keeps falling out.

What am I doing wrong?? I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I am using a cream cheese sugar cookie recipe that I found on this website..

Thanks for the help!!
Rhonda

11 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 12

Sometimes the sticks will fall out. You can just squirt either a bit of melted chocolate or royal icing into the hole the stick came out of and reinsert the stick leave until dry.

Also, try baking your cookies a bit longer so that they are harder. And remember not to pick the cookie up by the stick until the cookies have throughly cooled.

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 12

For some odd reason, those skewers are not always reliable. I use them as well, and some of the cookies "grab" onto the skewer and stay put, while others, even after being completely cooled, rotate and spin inside the cookies. I do exactly what the previous poster does...I gently ease the skewer out, squirt in some royal icing, and leave it alone until the RI sets.
Do not attempt to move it before it dries. For awhile, I was so frustrated with the skewers moving around, that I started uses hot glue to attach the skewer (NO not to the cookie...LOL) to the back of the cookie bag! It is easier to bake and decorate without a stick, and when the cookie is done,
I pop it into the bag (stick already attached!) and tie the bag at the base underneath the cookie with a bow. Voila..the stick will NOW stay put! SO THERE STICK! icon_razz.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 12

I've never tired skewer but I never pick up from stick until completely cool (next day) when I'm ready to decorate and have never had one come off. A bit of ri should do the trick. That stuff works like crazy glue. lol

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 12

I've never used the thin skewers for cookies (don't trust the weight of the cookies on this teeny stick thing!), but when you push the stick/skewer into the unbaked cookie dough, press down slightly on the cookie dough to really adhere the dought to the stick. Ever since I started doing this, I've never had a problem (and I did have some stick problems when I first started doing these cookies).

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:16am
post #6 of 12

I used to use the lollipop sticks from Michael's all the time...very reliable but expensive. So I decided to try the skewers. I love the cost but noticed that they would "turn" easily even when the cookie was cooled. I'm thinking they must have a smoother, less grabby surface on them than the lollipop sticks do and that's why they turn. If you want to keep using them, though, indydebi's suggestion sounds like a great one...I'll be trying it next time I use the skewers. Good luck!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:43am
post #7 of 12

Joanne, I stick the bag rather than the cookie too. Makes the process, for me, a little easier icon_smile.gif

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:59am
post #8 of 12

I insert the skewer when the cookie comes out of the oven and is still hot. After I have the skewer in place, I use a flat, heavy, spatula to press down on the cookie. I've had very few problems since I started doing it this way.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:10pm
post #9 of 12

I use lollipop sticks, never tried a skewer. I also wouldn't trust a 1/4" cookie on a stick. I roll out to 3/8" and then you don't have to worry so much about the stick coming out the back.

I think someone posted about using the stir sticks from a coffee shop that are flat (like a tongue depresser) so they can't turn in the cookie.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 12

Someone else also mentioned a craft stick such as a popsicle stick. I haven't tried it tho

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:39pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for all the advice!!

" Toleshed" ....That's an idea! I might just try the popsicle sticks.

THANKS!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:10am
post #12 of 12

That is a great idea! Popsicle stick that is icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%