Let's Have A Serious Discussion About Cake Scraps ;-)

Baking By terrier Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 4:02am by aztomcat

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 59

Just being funny... play off the cupcake discussion!

So what does everyone do with there cake scraps????

This summer I had a ton of scraps left over and did not want to make cake balls so instead I put together a trifle.... it was great!

I woulds like to hear what you do!

Cheers,
ally

58 replies
terrier Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 59

would icon_redface.gif

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 59

my kids usually eat all my leftover scraps. other than that, I just throw them away. I have made cake balls a few times. maybe I can pick up another way to use them from this post icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

scrapperjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapperjade Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 59

I'm not quite into making cakes (I made a handful but I'm very poor at it), but my mom is an awesome baker & made the coolest cakes!

What she would do with her scraps was give them to us when we were kids, a handful of icing tips, the leftover icing, and let us decorate! It was SO much fun!

If you have kids, I'm sure they would love this too!

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 59

I make trifle out of them when I have enought-- including the use of cupcakes that I freeze and do not end up using! I get rave reviews on my trifles--when all I did was clean out the freezer!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 59

They go straight in the trash.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 59

I love to make "cake sandwhiches" out of them with a buttercream middle.....but will now be starting the First Place program, so all cake scraps will sadly be thrown the the trash icon_sad.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 59

Other than cake balls, I also use that mixture in molds to make small cakes and cover with fondant.

I also make parfeits with fruit and cream by layering in disposable cups (160z of larger) layer first with scraps, then fruit, then my cream mixture and so on to the top. I top with whipped pastry pride and then add any topping such as nuts, granola, sprinkles, cherries, etc.

The cream mixture I use is the same as "tres leches"

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 59

urk gleggh.

Throw 'em away.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 59

I have a pot belly pig - yes really. He gets all the cake scraps.

They are not really supposed to have chocolate or all that sugar but he was only supposed to live 12-15 years and he is 17 and happily eating cake scraps. He now smells the cake cooking and just waits by his plate.

He is within his ideal weight!! He fell 7 years ago and broke a couple of teeth and have to have dental surgery and now we have to cook all food for him, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies etc so the cake is just perfect for him.

My old wilton instructor was all about the cake balls but Brantly Lenard Thomas (BLT for short) would to totally disappointed.

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #11 of 59

Oh....I need to try some of the ideas out there.......because like someone else said I to make little cake sandwiches, but it seems I'm the one who eats most of them icon_redface.gif And then if I happen to be at the same event as my cake .....someone always asks why don't you want any cake? To embarassed to say I just ate all the scraps.....couldn't take another bite until the next one. tapedshut.gif

Angel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel25 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 59

I usually cut the scraps into small bits and pieces, then in a large bowl I mix the scraps with left over filling or I make pudding (using usually vanilla or chocolate pudding mix), stir the scraps well in the pudding until every bit of scrap is moist and covered in pudding or filling. Then I cover a deep pan (the one for lasagna or casserole e.g.) with aluminum foil leaving some foil hanging over the edges, then I pour in the scrap mixture, press it in with my hands, cover with aluminum foil and leave in the fridge over night till it stiffens. You can also put some fresh fruit (bananas, cherries e.g.) on the bottom of the pan before filling it with scrap mixture. Next day, turn the pan over on a serving plate (if you added some fruit it will be on top now), remove the aluminum foil and decorate with whipped cream. In the end you get a whole new cake which my family usually likes better than the original cake I started with icon_smile.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 59

I usually toss them unless I have lots of time on my hands - then I make cake balls. I just bought the Wilton mini pumpkin silicone mold (24 mini pumpkins). I plan on coating each mold with melted, orange-tinted white chocolate, then adding spice cake scraps with vanilla coffee creamer, then topping them off with more melted chocolate. I'm freezing them so I'll have them for the Halloween goodie baskets that I make for coworker's kids.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:43pm
post #14 of 59

I saved and froze them at first because I wanted to make cake balls. I didn't like the cake balls I made and thought they were too labor intensive anyway.

So now I just put my scraps in a large ziplock bag and my family (and I) snack on them for a couple of days.

However, I do not advise this as I have gained 40 pounds since I started making cakes. Yes. I said 40, but it may well be 50.

Do as the experts say: put the scraps in the garbage and WALK AWAY!

icon_biggrin.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #15 of 59

I got 3 guys around all the time to eat 'em...........the DH and my DSs.... LOL icon_lol.gif
Rest we just throw out!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:55pm
post #16 of 59

I have a freezer full of cake scraps to make cake balls with, as well as several frozen cake balls and I almost always make trifle for church dinners because I almost always remember the dinners are taking place the morning of--quick way to get rid of a lot of scraps--really though, I need to toss them--how long are they good in the freezer for? My family also does a great job of cleaning them up if I don't get them in the freezer quick enough--I want to try the idea of the pumpkin pan though--sounds like a great way to get rid of scraps!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:59pm
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorfan

I have a pot belly pig - yes really. He gets all the cake scraps.

Is this the same thing as a 16 year old son, cause that's who gets all my cake scrapes. If he walks in a smells cake baking the first words out of his mouth are " is there any I can eat?' An he's skinny as a rail, life is just not fair icon_sad.gif

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:01pm
post #18 of 59

I try to limit my scraps, but when I have some, I make up cake balls and take to work. Those guine pigs love it. But when I am short on time, I don't coat them with chocolate. Just make balls, place in cupcake wrapper and place in box. Then just melt some chocolate or candy melts in a disposble bag and drizzle. They still taste great and somewhat less rich without all the chocolate coating. I can whip together fast to. Use my cookie scooper or cupcake scooper for big ones.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:25pm
post #19 of 59

Right now they get eaten or tossed here.

Has anyone tried Toba Garrett's spackle paste? I recently saw bought her book, and in it she uses spackle paste, a mixture of cake crumbs, bc, and filling, "to give cakes extra stability, structure, and a professional look, especially when the cake has been covered in rolled fondant.". I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but am kinda curious, and would like to get opinions from those who have tried it.

terrier Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #20 of 59

WOW! There are so many yummy ideas! Angel25 I am so going to try your cake idea that sounds so good!

Cheers,
ally

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #21 of 59

I crumb any that the kids don't eat, and dry for sprinkles on ice cream, make crumb crusts, or use them to make sand and dirt on new cakes.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #22 of 59

I can't imagine throwing out the pieces of cake I level off. I put them in small ziplock freezer bags and my family knows when they want cake, they can go get scraps. We're not big on frosting and like to nibble so the scraps are perfect for us. Plus, there is always a variety of flavors available to sampe. Nothing tastes better than frozen white cake scraps.

terrier Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #23 of 59

Yeah I got to many left over most times...I don't/wouldn't throw them out either!
Sometime I make sheet cakes and use the pan that I love the shape of but... it does not bake a nice cake and I use them as a stencil and cut them from the sheet cake so I have a lot left over... to much to throw away.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #24 of 59

Funny, I was just reading in my ICES magazine this morning some tips for using cake scraps. Of course cake balls, triffles, and believe it or not pie crusts! (January 2008 issue, page 21)

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #25 of 59

At the cafe I work at, NOTHING goes to waste. I use cake scraps for....

-parfaits
-cube up choc cake and put them in clear coffee glasses, top with ganache, espresso bc, and a dash of cinnamon
-a crust for cheesecake, and then cover the sides after baking
-a crust for bar cookies (such as a 7 layer bar)
-a base for mousse (we use molds, and then put cake on the bottom)

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:50pm
post #26 of 59

They can be used to make brownies...as an ingredient...I don't have a recipe on hand but I do know one exists.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #27 of 59

All these ideas sound very interesting and I'm really thinking about trying them. I'm especially interested in a pie crust out of cake scraps. Does anyone have a recipe for the pie crust? I detest the taste of pie crust but, heck, if it's made out of cake scraps I would probably learn to like pie.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:02pm
post #28 of 59

My cake tops get put on a plate for the kids, they know it's fairgame. What doesn't get eaten by the end of the day goes out with the compost. Now, If I have a lot left over...I bag it and throw it in the fridge. 2 weeks later, throw it in the garbage. icon_eek.gif I would love to make use of it, gotta find the time. icon_cry.gif

terrier Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #29 of 59

I was thinking maybe a bread pudding could be made out of the cake scraps... or would that be to rich?

terrier Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #30 of 59

I was thinking maybe a bread pudding could be made out of the cake scraps... or would that be to rich?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%