Nut Free Recipes

Decorating By Jmtreu98 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm by Jmtreu98

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 14

I would like to make cupcakes for my daughter's birthday to bring to school. One of the kids in her class does have a nut allergy.

Does anyone have a good receipt? I normally use DH cake mixes, but it does list a warning about "Tree Nuts" on the box so that is a no, no.

Do I just do a scratch receipt? Help!!!!

Thanks,

Jeanene

13 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 14

Honestly, even if you use a 100% nut-free recipe, unless your home is 100% allergen free, you cannot guarantee that the cake will be safe for this child. Discuss it ahead of time with the teacher and/or this child's parents, and perhaps her own parents can send in a safe treat for her to have the same day you send the cupcakes.

Jmtreu98 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Honestly, even if you use a 100% nut-free recipe, unless your home is 100% allergen free, you cannot guarantee that the cake will be safe for this child. Discuss it ahead of time with the teacher and/or this child's parents, and perhaps her own parents can send in a safe treat for her to have the same day you send the cupcakes.

Thanks Tara...I did discuss with the teacher and she said as long as it is a nut free receipt we should be ok...Honestly it still concerns me though. I was going to switch gears and go with NFSC and omit the almond extract, but I am still worried.

I will contact her parents as you suggested. I just don't want the little girl left out or feeling bad! Maybe it is best I don't bring anything?!?! icon_cry.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 14

icon_redface.gif I thought this was gonna be another post about some nutty customer not understanding a receipt they'd received for payment. icon_redface.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

icon_redface.gif I thought this was gonna be another post about some nutty customer not understanding a receipt they'd received for payment. icon_redface.gif

Ditto icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Jmtreu98 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:

I'm bad!!!!!!!! icon_surprised.gif Too many things on my mind...I meant recipe...

Good grief icon_redface.gif

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

Double ditto!

You can buy completely nut-free chocolate at Vermont Nut Free. The company got started by a mom whose child had/has severe nut allergies. The site also has some recipes. Good luck!

http://www.vermontnutfree.com/

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 14

This is really good to know. I had looked at the DH box and didn't see a warning about nut allergies. Now I have 24 cupcakes in my freezer that I was suppose to send to school with my DD on her bday. Is there another box mix that is nut allergy safe?

Rebelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebelady Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 14

Don't feel bad!! In the amish community they do call their recipes receipts. I live in Ohio so I still hear it both ways!!! thumbs_up.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

Me Three!!!

Call Mom and Dad. Tell them the problem. They appreciate the concern. But I have to tell you, as long as you are careful about not using any products or utensils that have come in contact with your nuts, you are probably fine. My DD has a couple of kids who are severe in her class, and I make sure that I don't cross-contaminate and I haven't killed a kid yet. My mom's friend has a DH who is allergic to ALL nuts except peanuts, and a DD who is allergic to peanuts. She has ALWAYS has a jar of peanut butter and nuts for eating and baking in her house and hasn't lost either one of them yet. Going on 43 years.

If you are concerned about the box mix, make it from scratch. Tons of easy recepies here. Or try the Mayonaise cake for even easier!!! Just don't stick your spoon in the peanut butter jar and then use it to stir your batter.

Jmtreu98 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinroses

This is really good to know. I had looked at the DH box and didn't see a warning about nut allergies. Now I have 24 cupcakes in my freezer that I was suppose to send to school with my DD on her bday. Is there another box mix that is nut allergy safe?

I noticed the warning on the side of the box at the very bottom (Small print). I don't have it with me but it said something to the fact that the mix is processed in the same facility where Tree Nuts are processed.

Good luck to...If you find anything let me know!

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:26am
post #12 of 14

My son is allergic to peanuts. I don't let him eat baked goods from others' kitchens, though I admire and apperciate those of you who take such care in your kitchens to protect others' children. I encourage you to call the parents. Whatever their decision, they will very much appreciate your concern. I keep cupcakes in the freezer at school so that he can have a treat when the others get one. He is used to it, and fine with it. If they have some similar system, she may be very used to this as well.

I am a teacher. I have several peanut-allergic students. I have specifically asked them about whether they are comfortable with their children eating things from my kitchen. They all are (so far), but only because my son is allergic and they know these are the recipes I make for my own child.

Again, thank you for your concern for the little girl's feelings and health.

jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #13 of 14

I know how hard it is to have a child allergic to everything. My son is allergic to eggs, wheat, all nuts, beef and all fish. Good luck and it is great to see others have concerns for our children.

Jmtreu98 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrmom

Again, thank you for your concern for the little girl's feelings and health.

I called her mom last night and she was very appreciative of my concern. Actually she was in tears because I did call and ask. She made me cry! She is making arrangements to have a snack brought in for her daughter on that day. I feel much better now!

Being a mom of two little girls who are not allergic to anything, I still know the feeling as a mom wanting to protect them. I would NEVER want any child (or adult) to get ill because they ate something they shouldn't.

I commend you moms who have children with allergies to any type of food. It has to be a tough adjustment, especially in the beginning. Good luck to all of you! thumbs_up.gif

Jeanene

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%