Really Could Use Some Advice

Business By karateka Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 12:53pm by michellenj

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 6

I have this bride that I don't know how to handle.

She came in for a tasting and we talked and I answered questions, all seemed normal.

Then I get an email stating that they were very impressed with the flavors offered but wanted to know if there was anything that could be done about the moisture in the "actual cake". ??? icon_confused.gif

I tasted all of that cake. I always do. And it was FINE. I was a tad concerned about the spice, but I had my kids and husband backstop me and they all said it was good, not dry at all, so I thought I was being paranoid. Plus I'm not a huge spice cake fan anyway. So I emailed her back. I said that all of my cakes were scratch butter cakes baked using quality ingredients and I don't use boxed mixes for two reasons. I told her what they were. I explained that I do use simple syrup on my cakes for "added moisture and flavor" as some of my syrups are flavored.

I suggested that perhaps if she were concerned she might consider having me torte and spread out the filling amongst 3 layers instead of just between the two, and that might make it appear more moist.

I stopped short of telling her that her second option is to find another baker. I couldn't think of a way to say that that didn't sound as though I was telling her to "hit the road".

Now she is emailing back asking for the square cake option, and saying that after talking it over with her parents, "that's the way to go". I assume she means the torting.

I am hesitant about continuing this order. I'm worried that she is unhappy with the cake but feels under pressure to pick me for $$$ reasons or something. I may also be paranoid, since someone in West Chester charges less than I do. (Maybe she's already booked, though.)

I don't want her to settle on her wedding cake. Aside from being the baker she settled for, I'm afraid it will open me up to legal issues. Who's the judge of what cake is "dry"? If the judge is a Duncan Hines girl, I'm out major moola and my reputation.

On the other hand I have a history of looking on the dark side of issues and may just be reading too much into this. I need some perspective, ladies and gents....anybody got any???

Sorry so long...

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 6

I think you're overthinking this...If she wants to hire you, torte the cake and don't worry about it. If she didn't like it enough to hire you she'd go with someone else.

She's probably thinking "gummy," not "moist," becasue she's used to boxed mixes. It sounds like you've let someone shake your confidence, but I'm sure that your cake is fine and that it's just that she's used to mixes.

It also sounds like you and my husband are related, because he goes from point A to point Z in one step...She liked your cake enough to hire you, so that means that you're forcing her to settle and she's going to sue you???? Go put your feet up, relax and have some of your non-dry, non-gummy cake! icon_smile.gif

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6

If you are confident in the texture and flavor of your cake I don't think you need to justify it to this bride. Everyone has different taste and you can't please everyone.

Personally, I would reply saying that you always taste your cake and are very happy with the texture and flavor as is. You can offer to add more filling if you're comfortable with that, but beyond that there's really nothing you can do.

I can't imagine you're opening yourself up to legal issues. If you make it clear to her in advance that this is your cake, take it or leave it, she really can't come back later and complain. (Well, she can always complain, but I don't think she'd get far if she tried to sue.)

On the other hand, if you really don't want to work with her, then don't. Sometimes we're better off knowing who should be our client, and who shouldn't.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks! I had a feeling I was overthinking it. I'm good for that.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 6

Not everyone is going to like every cake, and I personally don't like to book brides who aren't enthusiastic about their cake. It always ends up being trouble.

Take a pass on this one. Trust me.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with Txkat, totally.

But if you do end up keeping her, make sure that you get all the money and a solid written contract beforehand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%