Bubble Under My Frosting!

Decorating By relybee Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 12:47am by superstar

relybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
relybee Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 6

I did a wedding cake this past weekend. Things went well until I got to the reception and looked at the cake again. There was a huge bubble underneath the frosting on the top tier of the cake! I was devasted! I've never had this happen before! What might have caused this???

5 replies
Amanda518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda518 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 6

I read on here somewhere that it is because the cake settles. I think they said to stack it and let it settle some before adding the fondant.. Hope that helps.. maybe someone else knows for sure. thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 6

Many others have experienced such problems.
All you have to do is take a pin and from the under side poke a hole, then gently push the air out.
This happens mostly on the small tiers as you don't use enough pressure to adhear the icing to the cake allowing air &/or gases to gather.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 6

I use to have this happen to me ALL the time and I found what has helped it A LOT was assembling the tiers and letting the settle for a few hours at least (I usually set them up and then put some saran wrap around them and then just leave them on the counter for a while) when I started doing this the bubbles and bulging started going away. Even now I notice these problems if I get in a hurry and don't let them sit very long. Hope this helps

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 6

I have never noticed that stacking them makes the bubbles come out more, but I have gotten them. Not really sure how to prevent them, but the fact they happen on small tiers makes sense If you pop it and press with a fondant smoother (whether it is bc or fondant), all will be well. I also think the bumping of traveling forces the cake to settle some more and brings out the pockets of air. I don't know if a good crumbcoat would help this or not??? I would think with BC it would, ad the only time I have gotten them is without crumbcoating..........coincidence?

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #6 of 6

Make sure your cakes have no condensation on them before applying your BC. This is a small tip from Sharon (Sugarshack) Zambito's DVD, it is a fabulous DVD.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%