Honest Opinions Wanted On My Website

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 12:33am by kettlevalleygirl

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 27

I just re-did my website (well, using premade templates) and I would like honest feedback on how it looks using the design I chose.

It's not exactly what I want (but it was free for me - what I exactly want costs about $200), but I was happy with it. I already got feedback from my mom and she hates it icon_rolleyes.gif

So I thought I'd come here and ask what you all think of it. (I don't know if any of you guys remember what it used to look like with the green background).

Anyway - it's here: http://www.cakesbydai.com

Honestly!!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

26 replies
jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 27

I think it looks very nice. Mom's are always our worst critics..

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 27

I Love it! Sorry mom icon_redface.gif
Maybe she doesn't like the black background?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 27

I love everything about the site...except the neon swirls around your beautiful daisy cake and at the sides of creative cakes and cookies etc..I think it looks like a cartoon version of a 1960's show..(I'm not trying to be mean) The cake alone would be beautiful and Elegant..I like everything else...the swirls just struck me odd seemingly like a commercial for Polly Pockets...JMO icon_smile.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 27

bear with me while i go back and forth from your website to this post...can't remember too well nowadays!

there is a typo with the word "listed", first line of the flavor section.

i think your descriptions of the flavors should have the comment first, before moving on to the actual description...for example: red velvet- a true southern favorite, blahblahblah. it kind of draws the person in and gets their imagination started up. i think a few of the descriptions might need a bit of work..some are a bit wordy or not as cohesive as they could be.

MY OPINION ONLY! your work is incredible...congratulations on your site!!

your wedding cake is absolutely everything i would have loved...so well done, and such good taste!!!

starla

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 27

I think it looks very nice. It's clean and straitforward. My hubby designs websites and I've seen some doozies icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with minivixen. Your work is incredible! Great job!

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 27

I think it's gorgeous, easy to navigate and your work is fabulous! Great job, our moms are from a different generation, not used to websites. . . keep up the great work! icon_smile.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 27

I think it looks really nice, I'm sorry your mom doesnt like it, but I think it looks great!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 27

I like the pink letters on black background. The info is short but concise. Your work is awesome!!!

And don't worry about mom ... when I go shoe shopping with my girls, they tell me they wait until I call a shoe ugly, then they know THAT'S the shoe for them ... because 'ole mom thinks all the cute shoes are ugly! icon_lol.gif

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 27

I think everything is great thumbs_up.gif - except for the black background icon_redface.gif it is hard on the eyes (maybe why your mom doesn't like it??). I have a friend who is in marketing, and he says people are naturally drawn to light backgrounds... maybe white would be better? I think it would show off your great pieces more!

Like i said, i love everything else! But i would definitely change the background to something lighter.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 27

i like it... no i love it... my mom hates mine too... and he hates my dad too (which i designed)... so thats just a mom thing... i guess....

ps i love lve love your wedding cake, and i am glad that i am not the only crazy person to have done thier own wedding cake, i did mine too (along with my engagement cake)... my mom ordered a cake for our civil ceremony, that was like 5 months before our religious ceremony... and i would have rather have done it myself... so i want to say

CONGRATS on the SITE, and on the EXTRAORDINARILY BEAUTIFUL wedding cake

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #12 of 27

mom2spunkynbug, I love it....and, let me just add you and your husband are a very nice looking couple...your wedding cake was awesome!!! I agree with the others, your cakes are beautiful thumbs_up.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

...except the neon swirls around your beautiful daisy cake and at the sides of creative cakes and cookies etc..I think it looks like a cartoon version

WOW that's the same thing that my mom said!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you everyone for your honest feedback! I personally really like the black background - but at the same time, I've seen some really spectacular sites that have really light & almost inviting colors! So I'm at a loss, lol.

Thanks so much for all your nice compliments on my wedding cake as well - I can't believe I was dumb enough to want to make my own! icon_biggrin.gif

I'll have to go back & fix the typos! (thanks!) And I know my wording is a bit cooky on my cake descriptions, I'll have to work on that!

I'll have to think about the website design.....and if I want to spend all day tomorrow on it too LOL

icon_smile.gif

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:25am
post #14 of 27

I like your site, job well done.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #15 of 27

Ok - I've redone some things!

If anyone would like to take another look I'd appreciate it! I got rid of the swirls! I couldn't get "Polly Pocket" out of my head...and that is not exactly the look I'm going for! icon_biggrin.gif

Soo....what do you think now... http://www.cakesbydai.com

couturecupcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
couturecupcakery Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:26am
post #16 of 27

I did not see it before the changes, so I can't compare. I do like the black background, but only if the font was a bit larger. It is almost like I am looking at glowing letters. Does that make sense? Kinda like when you look at the sky and you see the stars... Either a light background or bigger font.
Have you played with the titles in a more decorative font rather than just a different size? That would spice it up but still keep the elegant look I think you are going for. My father is a graphic artist so I ask myself questions like you are.
You work is gorgeous! I can't wait to get a website!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:06am
post #17 of 27

I love your website! IMHO the only thing I would change is the font - I would make it a little bigger - but maybe it's my monitor. icon_smile.gif

Where did you go to get the free template?

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:18am
post #18 of 27

I like you website it's nice....way nicer than mine!!

But, I just have to tell you how awesome your work is and I just LOVE your wedding cake...that is one awesome cake....wow!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:48am
post #19 of 27

I'm seeing the site now after you have made a number of the suggested adjustments...and I tell you, it's really an impressive site. Really. I'm working on my site now and it's no where that clean and elegant....but then I ain't either! <wipes mouth with back of sleeve.> haha

My mom will have 'helpful' suggestions as well...gotta let it go, if you are happy and the general consensus supports you.

And oh my goodness, your cakes, etc....beautiful, hon! Very talented!! Thanks for sharing!!

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:51am
post #20 of 27

The only thing that was off was that some of the pictures are a bit fuzzy in the toppers... if I was a costumer that would bug me only because you can not see all the details.

You wedding cakes are lovely!

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:04pm
post #21 of 27

I like your web page thumbs_up.gif

But I'm curious, what would you be getting if you got the $200 site??

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:11pm
post #22 of 27

I absolutely Love it!!!! Very Professional!!! Sorry about the Polly Pocket comment... icon_redface.gif only way I could describe it!! You are very talented!! You will do very well!!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:22pm
post #23 of 27

I really like your website! I think the black background gives your page a very modern look. I like the slide show displaying your cakes. You do great work! The only problem for me was with the flavors page. After looking at it for a few minutes, the yellow and black contrast started hurting my eyes. icon_lol.gif You may want to use some other colors to break it up instead of the text being in all yellow. However, that is minor, and overall it's a great website...easy to navigate and informative to your clients.

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:47pm
post #24 of 27

I really like your site! It shouldn't matter what everyone else, including mom, thinks. As long as you like it is the most important thing! Great job.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:48pm
post #25 of 27

I love your cakes they are so beautiful! However I am a big centering person so I would maybe have the catalog and blog centered. I am not an expert on web pages so if that doesn't break any rules. Ha Ha Ha. I would love to see a different type of font. Other than that it is great!!!!!!!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:29pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturecupcakery

I did not see it before the changes, so I can't compare. I do like the black background, but only if the font was a bit larger. It is almost like I am looking at glowing letters. Does that make sense? Kinda like when you look at the sky and you see the stars... Either a light background or bigger font.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I love small font (I even write really small) but I have to learn that everyone doesn't like it, and some can't even see it LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturecupcakery

Have you played with the titles in a more decorative font rather than just a different size? That would spice it up but still keep the elegant look I think you are going for. My father is a graphic artist so I ask myself questions like you are.
You work is gorgeous! I can't wait to get a website!

Thank you. I'm working with a pre-made template, so I can't change the font icon_sad.gif Believe me I would LOVE to change the font!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

Where did you go to get the free template?

Well, I use GoDaddy.com. I have their "Web Site Tonight" and it includes a variety of templates to use at no extra charge. I really like working with GoDaddy - I recommend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

The only thing that was off was that some of the pictures are a bit fuzzy in the toppers... if I was a costumer that would bug me only because you can not see all the details.

Yeah, that really bugs me too - I should probably just take them off, right? My camera is REALLY bad at taking pics of tiny objects. I'll have to go back and see if they're ALL fuzzy or if I'm able to leave some up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Bunnies_Cakes

But I'm curious, what would you be getting if you got the $200 site??

The other site I'm interested in is at http://www.bludomain.com. What I'm having a major issue with is my pictures, and I love how this site does them. I think their sites look more professional. But if I can get my site (the one I have now) a certain way with the pics (not using slide.com) I'd stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Sorry about the Polly Pocket comment... only way I could describe it!!

Oh, that's ok!! That is all I saw after you said that! icon_biggrin.gif Like how Polly's ponytail is all swirly & stuff, LOL! Oh how I hated picking up after my dd when she would leave her Polly Pocket stuff everywhere!!! icon_rolleyes.gif But that's another story! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

However I am a big centering person so I would maybe have the catalog and blog centered. I am not an expert on web pages so if that doesn't break any rules. Ha Ha Ha. I would love to see a different type of font.

Yeah, there is two words on the second row that are not centered & it's driving me batty! I don't think I can center them since it's a pre-made template I'm using. I already called the support center, because I wanted to just have a menu button called "Cakes" and have a drop-down menu from there listing "Weddings - Parties - Toppers" but icon_rolleyes.gif since it's pre-made there's no way I can do that. I'd LOVE a different type of font, but can't do that either! thumbsdown.gif Ah well...you get what you pay for, and this site is rather inexpensive per year!

And thank you to all of you who commented on my work! I really appreciate it! I appreciate all of the feedback on my site too! This is a great group! icon_biggrin.gif

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:33am
post #27 of 27

Wow, I still love your website, just spent some more time looking through it.
Very nice, thanks for the links, I want to start a webpage, but am not a computer person!
but I did save the links for whoever does it for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%