Decorate In Advance--How Many Days Out?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 9:28pm by CrazyCakes13

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 5

Some people from our church are throwing a party for the kids they pick up weekly on the bus. I have planned on taking sheet cakes & now, of course, numerous things have come up. So, today is Tues & I'm wondering if I can thaw them tonight, ice them tomorrow & them sit out until Sat evening & be ok? I would get a box to place over them to keep dust off.

4 replies
jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 5

Personally, I would thaw Thursday, decorate Friday. I always get a bit nervous when they sit for more than a day because sometimes colors can change (darken) or wick into others. At the earliest, thaw Wednesday, decorate Thursday.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:25am
post #3 of 5

Depends on how cool you can keep them. Of course the cooler the better. Any chance of frig'ing them? If it is hot &/or humid where you are don't do it.
I onced worked at a very well liked bakery. I was amazed to see them completely decorate a wedding cake on Tues or Wed and let it sit in an unused room until Sat delivery!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:16am
post #4 of 5

Guess I'll thaw tomorrow & dec Thurs. I've just had stuff come up at the last minute---including my MIL coming for a few days. And I'm the kind that will stress out if I did it Fri b/c my Sat is packed w/ soccer games & festivals. Sometimes i wonder why I volunteer to do anything.

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 5

I know what you mean! I posted something similar. I work full-time and have a zillion commitments that are hard to let go of. I think as long as the cakes are kept cool or cold and covered you're ok. I would suggest keeping them in the fridge though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%