Croquembouche - Transport

Decorating By SandyLemke Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 11:14pm by SandyLemke

SandyLemke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyLemke Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 21

Has anybody ever transported an assembled croquembouche with the spun sugar web? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

20 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 21

Not me, in fact never made one. I just wanted to wish you luck.

Mike

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 21

Don't even know what it is but would love to see a picture of one......love spun sugar.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 21

I did.

we made them at school on a nougatine base , its in my photos.

I don't know if you are using a cake circle or a base of another kind. I just didn't attach the top piece of nougatine to the bottom , kinda like it was on a cake circle. Then I put it in a cake box , I wasn't able to cover the whole thing the box just kinda protected the bottom. It should be okay as long as they are attached with caramel sugar. The only real problem I had was that my spun caramel sugar threads started to weep because it was really humid that day.

sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mike1394 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnancy

Don't even know what it is but would love to see a picture of one......love spun sugar.

A Croque is a traditional French wedding cake. It is a cone structure made of mini cream puffs held together with caramel. Google it you'll find plenty of pics. They are awesome. I've always wanted to one, but I can't find the time.

Mike

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 21

In cool and especially very cold weather they can be transported without issue (most of the time lol), but if it's very humid, you can have issues with the sugar, and especially the decorations not standing up to it.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 21

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I have seen this before (now that you described it) just didn't know the name. Sounds way over my head.

SandyLemke Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 21

Thank you! I'm making one for a French-themed bridal shower.

I'll make one and drive it to work for practice.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 21

Maybe trasport it in two sections. Then just put the top part when you get to your destination.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 21

I don't know if this helps, but my MIL had a croqeumbouche at a recent party (in the San Diego summer) and it was delivered whole. It was about 3 ft high. (and yummy!)

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #11 of 21

I made mine on a big foil-covered styrofoam cone. It worked beautifully, except it was a rainy day and my beautiful spun sugar web didn't quite make it to the venue. I made it 2' tall.

SandyLemke Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 21

are you supposed to put them on a cone or stack them in a pyramid?

Mike1394 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:07pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLemke

are you supposed to put them on a cone or stack them in a pyramid?

They are round it all depends on your cone building ability. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 21

Or the presentation requirements vs number of servings required. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 2:44am
post #15 of 21

Traditionally they are built without any inner support, but it's not as simple as it looks lol. It's very easy to start going off center, or to have a side start to cave a little when you're first learning (I still have moments lol). I have a sheet I was given in school that helps you calculate the # of cream puffs per row in relation to the desired height and all that. But if this is your first ever croquembouche and you won't get to do a trial run, you may want to consider a cone for the interior.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 3:05am
post #16 of 21

I used to make them every week or so at my old job in the Pastry Dept. of a huge restaurant. It took me about 200-300 profiteroles to build the large ones for weddings. They were each piped inside with a lighter pastry cream cut with whipped cream, chilled, dunked in boiling caramel and built freehand...no cone or support system inside. We did them year-round, but as others have mentioned....humidity is a major enemy. icon_mad.gif

It was a LOT of work, incredibly messy and time consuming. We also only did them on-site and would never be able to move them via a car or van. They were just too fragile and tall, about 2.5 to 3 feet usually!

I did get really confident at them finally, but it took a long time to get the building and angling part down pat. (Caramel gets too cold, too hot, too dark, crystallizes, etc.) I built them like a brick wall, one profiterole fitting between the crack of the two profiteroles in the line beneath it.

My suggestion would be to make one that's only built of 100 or so profiteroles (and spun sugar if the weather allows) and just box up all the extra profiteroles with their light drizzling of caramel on each. That way, it's way WAY faster and easier for the venue to serve them without having to disassemble the real croquembouche first.

Transporting it? My vote is for the inner styrofoam cone too, just for stability. thumbs_up.gif

Here are a few of my photos. Please excuse the weirdo look on my face in the first one. My co-worker and I were goofing around, haha! icon_lol.gif :
LL
LL

Mike1394 Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #17 of 21

Bummer I can't see the pics. icon_cry.gif

Mike

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #18 of 21

Wow that 2nd pic is amazing...how is such a thing served?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:56am
post #19 of 21

They actually break it apart profiterole by profiterole with a tiny little hammer and a fork. icon_lol.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 1:11am
post #20 of 21

I used a cone for the one I made a few weeks ago - they didn't want spun sugar on it,just white choc. It was pretty easy to transport because it was ontop of a mud cake & I had a skewer going through it icon_biggrin.gif
Which doesn't really help you, does it ?!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1260935.html icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

SandyLemke Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:14pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks for the great tips everybody!!!

Just wanted to let you know I transported the croquembouche to the venue successfully. I decided to hold it and have somebody else drive!!!!

It's not a true "tower," my bridal shower was only 21 people. So I stacked it with no cone.

It tasted really GOOD. icon_biggrin.gif

I'll post the photo in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%