Honest Opinions About Satin Ice Taste

Decorating By pinkyEm Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm by apetricek

pinkyEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkyEm Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 47

I have only used fondant a couple of times. The first was for my Wilton class and that cake did not get eaten and the second was on a castle cake and I only used it on the non-edible parts of the cake. I used Wilton both times for the convenience but that stuff tastes nasty. I'm going to be making my aunt's wedding cake and she really likes the look of fondant but is worried about the taste. I told her if she was worried about the taste but really wanted fondant we could do dummy cakes with fondant for the looks but do sheet cakes to actually eat. Then I thought of Satin Ice but have never tried it myself. If we go with a fondant cake to eat, I would NOT use Wilton and I don't really want to make marshmallow fondant (which I have tasted and I personally didn't think it was that good) so what is your honest opinion of the taste of Satin Ice?? Is it really any good? For those of you that use it, what kind of comments do you get from your clients about the taste?

Thanks!

46 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 47

LOVE IT! And my customers who taste it, also like it a lot. Even if they do ultimately choose not to have a fondant covered cake, due to the extra cost, they still like it.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 47

To me, Satin Ice has a chemical smell and taste. I don't like it at all. The only commercial fondant that actually taste good is Choco-Pan. I make MMF instead, because I'd have to order the fondant by mail and the shipping is outrageous.

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 47

Satin Ice is fine IMO. My family prefers that to MMF.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 47

I personally don't care for the taste of it. I've tried most brands and choc-o-pan is my favorite for taste. It's more expensive but I've never had anyone peel it off like they do other fondant. JMO

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 47

It's one of those things where you can ask 100 people and get 100 different answers. I personally like the taste of Satin Ice. The best thing you can do it get some of it and taste it yourself...better yet let your aunt taste it since it's her cake and then go from there. You're the only one who knows if you like it or not!

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 47

Love the Satin Ice!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 47

Exactly what Tweedie said.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 47

I dont like it and neither do my kisd. BUT I love how workable it is.
My favorite fondant is Michele Fosters. It is in the recipies here.
Not hard to make. If you have a kitchen aid stand mixer it is very easy. Stors well. I have made it with butter as directed and with Hi Ratio and I will say butter is better but the Hi Ratio was still good and white. The recipe makes about 4.75 - 5lbs .

Here is the link..

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-0-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

It is the favorite one and everyone I have made it for likes it. Not so with the others always a split opinion with customers on them.

Give it a try I bet you'll like it.
My aprox cost to make it is about $6.50 so 5 pounds for $7 not bad!!

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 47

I used Satin Ice for the first time last week, and I must say...WAY better than Wilton, and I personally love the taste of MMF, but some of my clients like something a little less sugary sweet...and then there was Satin Ice. icon_cool.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 47

I love Satin Ice... I find myself snacking on the scraps while I work (lol). I didn't care for choco-pan, but I am NOT a white chocolate fan, so that's just a personal thing.

I recently did a cake for my cousin's daughter and the bottom border was fondant balls... well the second the cake was cut the kids started stealing the balls and ate them ALL before the cake was even served... they then asked if I had any more of "those candies from the cake."

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 47

While the Satin Ice is MUCH better tasting than Wilton, I still think it's not quite tasty. It's good, but not great. I wasn't a huge fan on MMF either until I flavored it. I made it taste just like buttercream. You can flavor it any way you like. I would recommend doing that.

Edited to add - By the way, to me, Satin Ice smells like Play-doh. Blech!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 47

I agree that SI smells like Play Dough icon_razz.gif

I just tried Fondarific's vanilla and it was much better, but I heard their buttercream flavor is by far the best. But it costs more.

The best I've ever worked with and it tastes great, too (like buttercream), is my MMF recipe which is a modified version of Rhonda's--and it only costs about $5 to make:

16 oz mini-marshmallows (NOT Jet-Puffed. I use Wal Mart brand)
2 T water
**Grease a micro-safe bowl, add MMs, sprinkle with water, melt 1 minute, stir**
add
1 T glycerine
1 t popcorn salt (or grind regular salt in a coffee grinder - you'll get crystals if you don't)
1 dram of LoRann butter flavor candy oil
**stir**
add
2 lbs powdered sugar

Start by stirring in 1/2 cup to 1 cup of PS to absorb moisture before dumping in more to help avoid clumps. Each time you add PS make you you stir it well so that it's well absorbed before adding more. When you are down to the last 1/3 of the bag, dump it in and knead with your greased hands. Form a ball and wrap with plastic wrap to rest at least 4 hours.

To re-soften, place it in the micro a few seconds at a time and knead. If it is too sticky form accidnetally over-heating, knead in cornstarch a little at a time - or just let it cool down again.

You can color so easily by stirring it in before adding the PS. Or, if you need to add it after it's made, I've found that it blends in faster if you pull it like taffy rather than solely kneading it.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 47

I have to agree with mlharvell, Satin Ice smells like playdough, and when you eat it it's hard to get past that smell.

Personally I like Fondx. No funny smell, great taste, and works great.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:41pm
post #15 of 47

I like Satin Ice. I think it's the best tasting commercial fondant that I've had so far (haven't tried many though).
I had wanted to taste it for so long, so I finally just ordered a 2 lb. tub from Global Sugar Art since they have it on sale 25%off. Perhaps you can try doing that...wasn't expensive.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 47

I agree that Satin Ice=Play-doh with sugar icon_confused.gif

FondX is the best pre-made i've tasted as well. HTH!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #17 of 47

I heart Satin Ice! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:51pm
post #18 of 47

I used Satin Ice for the first time a couple of weeks ago....I agree it tastes better than Wilton fondant, but, it's not something I would want to eat on a regular basis.
To me the texture bothers me, you're eating a delicious piece of cake with delicious filling and BC and than the next bite you have this harder, chewier thing in your mouth and it's like what the??

I've seen many people just pull it off and place it to the side when they're served a piece of cake with it.

Definitely let your Aunt try some before she makes her decision. I think it's just as important that the cake tastes as delicious as it looks.

pinkyEm Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:28pm
post #19 of 47

Thanks for the opinions! Ultimately it will be up to my aunt what we frost/cover the cake with but I just wanted something to give her ideas. I've priced the Satin Ice, choco pan and the fondX and it's all a little expensive to buy just for a bite. If she doesn't like it we are stuck with a bunch of fondant. I don't make enough cakes to keep a stock of fondant on hand and I don't know any cake decorators [near me] to give or sell it too. Unless anyone knows where to get samples?? That would be nice.

I'm leaning towards just doing dummy cakes if she really wants fondant but like I said, it's up to her. I do know she loves buttercream though so who knows. lol We are getting together this weekend to "talk cake".

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #20 of 47

I used Satin Ice on my Wilton course III final. It did taste much better than the Wilton brand. After I got a recipe for MMF and flavored it with butter/vanilla flavor, I thought it tasted very similar to Satin Ice. I tried it on a few people and they said it tasted the same. I got some choco-pan samples in the mail, 4 diff varieties and I was not impressed with the taste.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #21 of 47

I really like satin ice. Especially the chocolate flavor.

It's pretty expensive to buy it locally , $15 for a 2 lb tub. So I don't get it too often. I do use MMF pretty often and I like it too.

As for wilton , they should just stop making it or they need to fix the flavor.

pinkyEm Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #22 of 47

I agree, not many people would miss the Wilton fondant if they did stop making it. lol I only like it because it is inexpensive which is good if you are not going to eat it! icon_smile.gif

tyty, can you tell me how you got samples of the choco pan?

MistyGirl2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyGirl2008 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #23 of 47

I like the taste of Satin Ice also and used it on my son's cake recently and most people ate it (unlike Wilton fondant that was always peeled off). I've also heard good things about Choc-o-pan but haven't tried it myself.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #24 of 47

I tried Satin Ice and both of my dd, their boyfriends and my dh and Ithought that it both smelled and tasted like play-dough.
Fondarific buttercream tastes great and the samply I worked with was very nice. It unfortunately is expensive.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #25 of 47

I believe you can order samples of coc-o-pan flavors from intothroven and just pay shipping.

pinkyEm Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:53am
post #26 of 47

Cool, thanks, I'll check that out.

Thanks again everyone. I'll pass all these opinions along and we'll figure something out, I'm sure. icon_smile.gif

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:20am
post #27 of 47

I really like the Satin Ice. I even kinda like the flavor. But if you do not like the taste of fondant in general, I think the way to go would be Fondarific if you want it to have that very elastic, smooth and stretchy texture, or MMF if you don't want to go to that expense and still have nice tasting fondant. If it's the texture that bothers your aunt and not the flavor (as is the case with a lot of people) there's nothing you can do. Fondant is fondant. My personal favorite is MMF with some flavoring. You can choose your own extracts and make it taste like pretty much anything. I like to do butter flavoring, vanilla, and a little almond and the kids always refer to it as candy. In fact, many of the kids at my daughter's party ate so many of the fondant decorations that they left the cake and ice cream behind, and I'd forgotten to even flavor it!

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:26pm
post #28 of 47

I dislike fondant and I've tried quite a few of them (different brands including MMF) on other people's cake. Finally wanted to try covering a cake on my own so I bought Satin Ice Vanilla. It was really easy to work with, but still it's fondant, didn't think it would taste good. So, I broke down and tried a pice, I LOVED IT!!!! I had a thick layer of bc underneath it but it was still so soft and had a great flavor esp. with the buttercream. I will def. be using it again icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:41pm
post #29 of 47

I really like Satin Ice. I started using it on my cookies and you don't get the chewy factor since it hardens.

If you are going to make your own, I like Michele Foster's fondant. It melts into the buttercream and isn't chewy at all. I wish I could get it to work right for me! I would prefer to be able to say that I make my fondant fron scratch. Maybe someday. I don't think it's me, not the recipe though. I just need more practice with it...and probably more glycerin.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:25am
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyEm

I'm leaning towards just doing dummy cakes if she really wants fondant but like I said, it's up to her. I do know she loves buttercream though so who knows. lol We are getting together this weekend to "talk cake".

Really do try Michelle Foster's recipe. It's the easiest fondant recipe I've ever tried and by far the best tasting. It kind of blends in with the buttercream when you eat it and far fewer people peel it off the cake.
For less than 1/2 hour of work, you can get 5+lbs of this fondant.
I use the butter called for in the recipe (vs. shortening) and lots of vanilla and it's slightly off white, but in my opinion this looks more elegant than stark white anyway.

I recently covered this wedding cake in it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1259694

I had people tell me, "This fondant tastes good!"

Did I mention it's easy to work with, too? And it has a nice, smooth porcelain finish.

The time you spend making the fondant will be less than the extra time needed to make a dummy and sheet cakes rather than just a real wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%