Vent**people Make Me Crazy! *long*

Decorating By mw902 Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 4:07am by mw902

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 46

So my sister in law asked me to do a castle cake for my nephews birthday, I figured I would do 2 9x13 and 2 loaf pans sizes for the tops, she wants fondant with a brick pattern sugar cone thingies and flags with the name on it etc, etc, anyone else I would have charged at least 100.00 for this cake and I can only imagine what a more experienced baker would charge. So I tell her to give me the money 30.00, which wasn't even going to cover it, and I would get the stuff and she says she would feel more comfortable getting the stuff so she knows how much it costs! I wroter her a list of everything that I needed brand names and everything and she lost it. Then she gets the wrong mixes and marshmellows and tells me to take it back and get what I need, and that will be at least 10.00 so she will take it off of the money she gives me! WHAT, you are going to bicker about this money to the penny? Sorry this is so long but I had to vent, this from her of all people who knows what I do to make one of my cakes, she knows this cake will have at least 12 hours of work in it and still gives me attitude over paying for it. I have decided that I am not doing anymore cakes for just cost, it's pay me or sorry go to walmart. Thanks for listening!

45 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 46

Gee, I'd suddenly be booked with a REAL paying customer. And before you say it, no YOU are not "ruining" your nephew's birthday ... his idiot mother is!!! icon_mad.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:40am
post #3 of 46

Ditto what Deb said...

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #4 of 46

I agree with Indydebi.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:05am
post #5 of 46

Ditto to Debi..

WTF is wrong with her (your SIL)?? She gets the wrong stuff.. asks YOU to exchange them and THEN takes back money???? What a bitch!! I'd tell her that you don't feel comfortable making this cake and could she please take her stuff back and order a cake from the grocery store. Do it before there's little time left.. and never be able to make her another cake. She is stepping all over you and you are letting her.. only you can make it stop.

Man.. I'd have some choice words for her.. she's lucky she's not my SIL.. icon_wink.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:05am
post #6 of 46

Indydebi couldn't have said it any better than that!

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:22am
post #7 of 46

Sounds like my SIL...wants something for nothing and can I have that yesterday please... icon_mad.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:54am
post #8 of 46

Your SIL? This person is family and acts like this?

Sweet jesus, hunny, why have coffee with people who pee in your cup?

Why do this cake for someone who disprespects you so? Give her the groceries back with the receipt and say 'Have at it'

indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:18am
post #9 of 46

chutz, you crack me up! Luv ya!!

pee in your cup.......hahahahahaha!!!!!

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:10am
post #10 of 46

Chutzpah, you always crack me up too, you're like the class clown! icon_biggrin.gif Yeah and SIL should go to the grocer and get a cake, shes nickle and diming you, and you're the one making the cake, id just give her money her money back and let the cake be a gift

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:20pm
post #11 of 46

I looked at your photos and you do really nice work. Here's what you do while you still have you're big girl panties on (I just recentaly started wearing mine, and it feels great!): Save the cake supplies for another cake order, and show up at the party with a Wal-mart cake. And tell her since you're apparently not trust-worthy enough to buy your own supplies, then surely you can't be trusted with making a cake. Hand her the Wal-mart cake, kiss your nephew on the top of the head, smile at your SIL, and go mingle. And don't you ever make her another cake again!

"No cake for you! Back of the line!"

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:32pm
post #12 of 46

Please give her her things back and stop being a doormat.

No one should treat another human being with so much disdain. It doesn't matter that you're doing a service for her. You are a human being and deserve to be treated with kindness and decency.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:50pm
post #13 of 46

So we have the same SIL? Mine treats everyone as if she is doing them a favor by allowing them to be in her presence. I went on vacation to visit them a few years back, and she wanted me to make a cake. I can handle a plain cake with no decorations, but she wanted an elaborate cake complete with string work, lace points, etc. She had ZERO equipment, not even a pastry bag. I told her she was insane if the thought I carry cake equipment on vacation and to make it herself or go to the bakery. I cut my vacation short by 4 days and haven't been back since. How my brother tolerates her is beyond me.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #14 of 46

Why is it that it's usually family that treat us with such little respect? This is why I usually "gift" my family cakes, because I really enjoy baking and decorating so it gives me the opportunity to try something new.

If she didn't trust you enough to buy the ingredients yourself and use her entire $30 without pocketing the change, she doesn't deserve the cake. Tell her to go buy a cake like this for less than $30 and see how far she gets.

Man, people never cease to amaze me!

indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Phoenix

I told her she was insane if the thought I carry cake equipment on vacation .....

You mean you don't just pull those cakes out of certain body cavities at the last second? icon_confused.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 46

How rude and disrespectful. I'd let her get this cake from a bakery, and pay the $300 it's going to cost her.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:26pm
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Phoenix

I told her she was insane if the thought I carry cake equipment on vacation .....

You mean you don't just pull those cakes out of certain body cavities at the last second? icon_confused.gif

Wellll, I don't think she can call herself a REAL decorator if she can't! DO YOU! LOL YEAH RIGHT!

Just teasin! People (esp. family) can be plain NUTZ!

Beth in KY

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #18 of 46

Isn't it amazing that family loves your cakes, tells everyone about them, but the minute you say "I'm gonna need money for this", they go nuts. icon_eek.gif I haven't had family ask for a cake since I said I needed 20 to 30 dollars just for the materials. icon_confused.gif Don't let her do this to you!! icon_mad.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:29pm
post #19 of 46

Gee, we all have the same SIL! icon_biggrin.gif My SIL is the one who had the First Communion Cake with the hockey player shooting a goal into a Chalice.)
I think she's counting on your love for the nephew and keeping peace in the family to goad you into doing the cake. Tell her to go to some grocery store and try that on them.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 46

I sure hope you don't do the cake. That is really class-less for her to do that to you.

What a turkey!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #21 of 46

She cant use you for a door mat unless you let her !

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #22 of 46

I think we have polar opposite families! My family won't let me bake for free for them - they at least give me money for groceries or they insist that it be the "gift" - I haven't bought my nephew a present since he was born.

Seriously - tell her to cough up the bucks or give her directions to the nearest Wal-Mart!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #23 of 46

I'm pretty laid back but at this point I'd give back her supplies and tell her to take them back and order a castle cake from a cake store. She'll have to actually PAY for it and it'll be WAY more than the piddly amount she's freezing up over. I do NOT do cakes for nick picking unappreciative clients. Fortunately, I have not run into this w/ family.
You are NOT obligated to do cakes for anyone. I always have the excuse ready of "just too busy with other commitments at this time."
SHEESH! I'd have that excuse ready for ANY cake this SIL tried to "order." They'd have to pry the spatula from my cold dead hand before I'd release it to do anything for her. Sorry, was that too harsh? icon_surprised.gif
Good luck. If you're still going to do this cake just keep in mind it's for your nephew, not his mom.

Mel Mc.

jennywaldon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywaldon Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #24 of 46

Tell her your sorry you badly mis caculated the price and that it would take more supplies to accomidate her master suite in the castle,being shes the queen of greed.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:48pm
post #25 of 46

Oh my goodness! You guys crack me up! Especially Deb and Chutz!! icon_lol.gif Wish I was witty like that. icon_cry.gif I feel the same way but I just can't get my point across like that!! LOL! Everyone is right though...people treat you the way you allow them to. For $30 she'll get a 1/4 sheet with an edible image of acastle on it and prolly not even a cute one at that! Does the nephew really care or is it the mom that wants the castle? If it's the mom and he just wants a cake then there's your out right there.... can't wait to hear the end of this story!! icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #26 of 46

Yeah, unless your nephew is a Harry Potter fan, no boy is going to want a castle cake. That's mommy's idea. He'd probably like a castle that was being blown up by a guy with a flamethrower, but that's as far as that goes.

Tell your SIL to take a hike. Better yet, ask your nephew what he wants when she's not around and do that instead. He'll be thrilled at the party, and she'll have to suck it up or look like an idiot because she'd have to complain about the fact that you actually made a cake that he loves.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #27 of 46

Hi guys, thanks for lightening up my mood! I already knew the things that you told me but I guess I needed to hear it. I did end up telling her that I was really off on the pricing info and I was going to need at least 20.00 more bucks for the stuff. My nephew is a Harry potter fan, thats what started this whole thing, he wanted a cool castle like harry's!

I am not usually the doormat type, like I sounded here! We have had a lot of problems with my sil and brother in the past and I just was trying not to start another family war over a cake!

Chutzpa, I will remember the pee in my coffee everytime I feel like I am not being treated right!!

Thanks again for the kick in the pants, I need it every once in a while!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:23pm
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Sweet jesus, hunny, why have coffee with people who pee in your cup?

For the love of God......my poor, poor keyboard takes such a beating when I read your stuff!! rotflmao!!!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 6:40pm
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

Gee, we all have the same SIL! icon_biggrin.gif My SIL is the one who had the First Communion Cake with the hockey player shooting a goal into a Chalice.)
I think she's counting on your love for the nephew and keeping peace in the family to goad you into doing the cake. Tell her to go to some grocery store and try that on them.

OMG!!! I would have loved to have seen that one icon_eek.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:34pm
post #30 of 46

I just did a Harry Potter castle cake several months ago. It was 30 for all the fondant, icing, coloring, and rock sugar.
It was a dummy cake otherwise it would have been wayyyyy over 30 dollars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%