Royal Icing Help Please!

Decorating By kathryn_NZ Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 1:43am by kathryn_NZ

kathryn_NZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathryn_NZ Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm new to this site, but I have just started using royal icing, and I am making a 70th birthday cake for my mother-in-law. Can someone please tell me what the secret is to piping royal icing, and not getting a "peak" everytime I lift the piping bag off? I cant get any clean dots or anything without a stringy peak on top. I have tried making it thicker, and I have tried making it runnier to no avail! Any help would be much apprecciated.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 5

The trick is to stop your pressure before lifting the bag away. Stop squeezing, count to 3, then lift away.
Also you can swirl yur tip as you remove it. Stop squeezing, count to 3, and swirl the tip around the top of the bead.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 5

Usually that happens to me when the icing is too thick...

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

The trick is to stop your pressure before lifting the bag away. Stop squeezing, count to 3, then lift away.
Also you can swirl yur tip as you remove it. Stop squeezing, count to 3, and swirl the tip around the top of the bead.

It'll come with practice, but this is definitely good advice. But in the meantime, you can use a damp paintbrush to lightly tap the points down before the icing dries.

kathryn_NZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathryn_NZ Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:43am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much! I will post a pic when I have finished it =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%