Bettercreme, Etc.

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm by MacsMom

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 5

I'm still confused. Let me know if I have this right....Rich's Bettercreme, Pastry Pride, Smart & Final, Frostin' Pride, and Dawn's Velvet (or Velvety) Top are basically the same products?
I live north of NYC....does anyone know what stores in this area carry those products? I can't recall ever seeing any of them in the grocery store. Are they refrigerated or dry products?
Thanks for your help.

4 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 5

Smart&Final is the name of a store that carries these. You can also get them at Sam's Club if you ask the bakery department.

At Smart&Final, they are frozen in milk carton containers. You thaw them in the fridge then whip them. Once whipped, they are stable in or on a cake indoors (air-conditioned) for 5 days.

I think they come pre-whipped at Sam's (?)

I'm on the West Coast, so I don't know where to find suppliers near you.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the information.

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 5

Those products are not the same, Pastry Pride is very similar to whipped topping, and bettercreme is thicker, more like a frosting. I've never used the other products so I can't say for those, hth.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakebox

Those products are not the same, Pastry Pride is very similar to whipped topping, and bettercreme is thicker, more like a frosting. I've never used the other products so I can't say for those, hth.

I've tried them both and thought they were very similar. Frostin Pride is thicker, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%