Getting Started With Candy Making

Sugar Work By michiru Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 9:52pm by shadowgypsie

michiru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michiru Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 8

I've some questions regarding candy making... First: I've been using the Wilton Candy Melts for some time and though they're great for molds and lollypops, I find them too sweet. I know if you use baker's chocolate you have to temper the chocolate. What about using chocolate bars? Do you need to temper those?

Second: I've been looking at recipes for more advanced candy making, such as caramels and boiled sugar candies. What kind of pots and utensils would I need for this? I can't see my old peeled away teflon pots being ideal for this sort of candy making. What about glass? I bought a glass double boiler for tempering chocolate as those little chocolate heating pots (kind of like for fondue but not) don't seem to bring the chocolate to the right temperature.

also can you use glass for caramels? sugar candies? or is there some other kind of pot i would need?

Even with candy melts I keep fighting the "melt in your hand" problem of dipped candies. I don't have this problem so much when I use the molds straight up.

Thanks for any help in this... seems all I can find out there on the internet is recipes, not so much of a "how to get started" like I can find for cakes. I tried searching this forum but it seems the further back i get, I start getting "no posts exist for this topic" messages. icon_sad.gif

7 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 8

I can't offer much advice except that you really should use a heavy bottomed saucepan for boiling sugar. If I could afford them I would go with copper and something really quiet deep too.

No matter what I do with chocolate it melts in my hands practically before I even think about touching it, hot hands! I just use molds and recipes where I dont have to handle the choc with my fingers period!

Pyrex with no chips or cracks is good to about temps of 900 - 1000F which I just found out!

Lorann Oils are great for flavouring chocolate and centers!

Best of luck!

seskenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seskenn Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 8

For dipping candies, I like to use the Ghiradelli chocolate blocks - I can find big slabs at Sams, especially during the holidays. For my caramels, I like using a large, non-stick saucepan, definitely with a long handle - learned the hard way about trying to pour stuff out of a pot with just those two little handles on each side! I use the non-stick simply because it's easier to clean up. I invested in a good quality (Calphalon) non-stick, 4 qt saucepan. It gives me lots of room to stir and for when candies "foam" (peanut brittle and the like).

You can also try almond bark to dip with. It usually comes in chocolate and vanilla flavors. I find it usually melts easier than the candy melts, and dries to a nice, shiny finish. Good luck with the candy making!

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 8

I'm in culinary school right now and we just made caramel! =)

we used a flat bottomed stainless steel pan on an induction burner. We used a metal spoon, but we were told we can use a wooden spoon.

it went very quickly, and unfortunately ours burned a little, but it did make a pretty deep amber color =)

HappyValley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyValley Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 8

Iâve been making chocolates ever since I married my DH. His mother got me into it. Tempering chocolate really isnât that hard. I really like the Guittard Signature dipping cocolate, MIL likes the Peters. Iâve never used a bubble boiler to melt my chocolate Iâve always used my slow cooker. I also use my regular stainless still pots to cook my centers. Iâve never used glass so I canât help you there. You will also need a candy thermometer. I have good recipes for caramels, marshmallow, cherries, fondant, and gel centers. Feel free to PM me with questions.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiru

I've some questions regarding candy making... First: I've been using the Wilton Candy Melts for some time and though they're great for molds and lollypops, I find them too sweet. I know if you use baker's chocolate you have to temper the chocolate. What about using chocolate bars? Do you need to temper those?

Yes, once you have melted chocolate bars, they will need to be re-tempered.

Second: I've been looking at recipes for more advanced candy making, such as caramels and boiled sugar candies. What kind of pots and utensils would I need for this? I can't see my old peeled away teflon pots being ideal for this sort of candy making. What about glass? I bought a glass double boiler for tempering chocolate as those little chocolate heating pots (kind of like for fondue but not) don't seem to bring the chocolate to the right temperature.

A heavy bottomed stainless steel pot would be a good choice. You don't necessarily need copper for great results. Save your $$$'s. Glass cookware for candies would have hot spots and unpredictable results.

also can you use glass for caramels? sugar candies? or is there some other kind of pot i would need?

Heavy bottomed stainless!

Even with candy melts I keep fighting the "melt in your hand" problem of dipped candies. I don't have this problem so much when I use the molds straight up.

Make sure you don't over heat them which may cause them to break down and become unstable (untempered).

Thanks for any help in this... seems all I can find out there on the internet is recipes, not so much of a "how to get started" like I can find for cakes. I tried searching this forum but it seems the further back i get, I start getting "no posts exist for this topic" messages. icon_sad.gif

Also, I recommend a good candy making book like "Who Wants Candy" which has great tips and recipes to try. Good luck!

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #7 of 8

HappyValley: I have been makng candy for many years, mostly cute ideas for holdiays ad lots of molded items. I do the cordials, haystacks, the usual but would love some new ideas for your gel centers. Can you possibly share some ideas with me? Pat at [email protected] and thanks!

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 8

I have a wonderful book that is right up your ally- no offense meant, but the name of the book is Candy Making for Dummies I have been making candy for 25 years and recently my husband bought it for me. It has a lot of the answers for those questions you are asking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%