Coloring Help

Decorating By angelcakes5 Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 7:14pm by OLWalker

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 5

I made a dark purple this weekend for the alligator in my photos. The frosting was mixed well but after I had frosted the cake and smoothed about an hour-2 hours later you could see little blue specks in the purple. Doesn anyone know why? I have had this happen to my dark blue before too. I see every flaw in any of my cakes and I get embarassed that this happens.

If anyone knows why please let me know.

Thanks!

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 5

i looked on a wilton discussion forum.. some say to be sure to use popcorn salt.... because it is finer.... i have always used popcorn salt... some say to mix your salt in warm water first... some say it could be the shortening not mixing well.... to be sure and use high grade shortening... some say it could be the water in different areas.... i have had this to happen in the past ... but not for a long time... i use whipping cream... in my buttercream.... on the wilton forum .. it does say to replace your water with milk or cream... when i did have that problem... when i rebeat it with my spatula .. it went away.. hth

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 5

Yah I don't think anyone actually came up w/*the* answer on this as is mentioned in the above post.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 5

I never notice it my light colored frosting so who knows I will experiment. I do not use salt in my frosting and always use high grade shortening. I do not use milk but water in my frosting so maybe it has somehting to do with that. Thanks for the help. The co-worker I made the alligator for commented on the little blue specks, he said the guests liked it and said "How did she do that?" they thought it looked neat. So everything worked out!

Thanks!

OLWalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OLWalker Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 5

I'm not sure what causes it, but I never have it happen if I color my frosting ahead of time and let it sit for a while, then rewhip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%