Frustrated With Wilton Cookie Scoop

Baking By punkinpie Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 3:03pm by punkinpie

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 14

I have the Wilton Plastic Cookie Scoop. Dough always sticks to it and I have to scoop out the dough with the knife. The little metal relaease thingy inside the scoop also pops out with a heavy dough.

Do all cookie scoops do this - or do I just need a different brand?

13 replies
searge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
searge Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 14

I spray(very lightly)the inside of the scoop, it's usually good for two to three cookies, never had a problem getting them out since I started doing this , hope that helps.
*do not use a butter flavored spray as it will change the color of your dough somewhat

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:47am
post #3 of 14

I gave up on the plastic scoops a long time ago. I invested in the metal scoops that have a metal spring. You use your whole hand to squeeze the dough out. I think I bought mine from King Arthur bakers catalogue. If your dough sticks wet the scoop a little and shake the excess water off. The moisture will not hurt the cookie. These are the greatest scoops and they come in several sizes.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:02am
post #4 of 14

I would say trash that plastic Wilton scoop and consider it a lesson learned. Pick up a metal one. I got mine at the grocery store. I love it. Soooooo much better than cheap plastic. Just my 2 cents.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:55am
post #5 of 14

I went through 2 of those plastic scoops because I thought the first one was defective. Nope...they both sucked. I just got fed up and bought a metal one from Kohls. It works awesome. Never have a problem with it. It seems to me that Wilton has nothing but substandard products. From nasty fondant to rusting cake nails. Is any of their products any good?

punkinpie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:29am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness_221

I went through 2 of those plastic scoops because I thought the first one was defective. Nope...they both sucked. I just got fed up and bought a metal one from Kohls. It works awesome. Never have a problem with it. It seems to me that Wilton has nothing but substandard products. From nasty fondant to rusting cake nails. Is any of their products any good?

I have been wondering the same thing. I have had tonnes of problems with my overpriced low quality Wilton stuff. Unfortunately there isn't any choice here. I'm going to have to start buying online.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 14

Mine broke the second time I used it. I ordered two sizes from Amazon and LOVE them.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 14

I only use the metal ones.

They last forever! icon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 14

Mine broke the first time I tried to scoop some dough. The little metal thingy popped right out and the handle cracked. I wasn't even using a stiff dough!! HATE IT!!! HATE IT!! HATE IT!!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 14

Some things from Wilton are really good and some suck! A lot of things are great if your learning and you don't have zillions of money to spend on the best stuff. I really like the rolling pin, the roll and cut mat and there pans. The plastic cutters are not so good but there metal ones are. And the new tool set they have works wonders.
I've heard the cookie scoops at the grocery store are great! Plus they wouldn't be that much money there.
Jen...

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 14

Definitely invest in a metal scoop, or five like me! They are great! I haven't tried the wilton one, but if its anything like the rest of their products..... icon_wink.gif

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 14

Pampered chef makes a GREAT scoop! Plus, you can get them in three sizes which is nice for variety.....def. ditch the wilton one icon_sad.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 14

I would like to suggest that, via the Internet, home bakers have access to all the tools the professionals use, no matter where you live.

If you do not have a restaurant supply store within acceptible driving distance, check online in the restaurant supply searches for scoops.

And if you want to save your hands, you will buy the scoops with the squeeze handle, rather than the thumb trigger ones.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

punkinpie Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I would like to suggest that, via the Internet, home bakers have access to all the tools the professionals use, no matter where you live.

If you do not have a restaurant supply store within acceptible driving distance, check online in the restaurant supply searches for scoops.

And if you want to save your hands, you will buy the scoops with the squeeze handle, rather than the thumb trigger ones.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Yes - Thank goodness for the Internet. Unfortunately though the cost of shipping and duty (if the company will even ship to Canada) makes items usually 2-3 times more expensive.

There are a few Canadian companies but the variety just isn't there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%