Confusion!! 2" Cakes And 4" Cakes

Decorating By Cakeonista Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm by Kay_NL

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 3

hi everyone, as you can tell im a newbie, i was reading wilton's yearbook cake baking and serving sizes and i think i have been misinterpreting things a bit. if i am using a 2" pan, torting and filling.............is it still considered a 2" and for a 4" am i supposed to be baking 2 the same size, torting and filling having 4 layers? maybe thats why some stacked layers look so high.....lol icon_wink.gif please elaborate for me lol sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but i have been torting and filling each pan size and stacking.....ops.

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 3

There is no right or wrong way to do this, although there are rules about assembling the cake so it is strong.

Many decorators do not torte layers. they use two 2" layers with icing or filling. After the cakes are leveled and the two are stacked, the result is around 4", sometimes a bit more.

You can also torte and fill to get 3 layers of icing, 4 layers of cake. The thinner cake layers provide more icing (my personal favorite)

Some kinds of cake don't split easily, and leaving them whole makes the assembly easier.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 3

For a 2 inch cake i just bake, level and ice (unless the customer wants a filling). For a 4 inch cake I bake two 2 inch cakes, level each one, and only put 1 layer of icing. Every now and then I will do 3 layers of icing, again it depends on the customer!!

I personally love lots of icing so when making cakes for myself or family, have 3 layers of it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%