Question About Sculpting With Krispies

Decorating By the cake whole Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 10:37pm by kbgieger

the cake whole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the cake whole Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 6

Just wondering if anyone has done an element on their cake that they sculpted from rice krispies than coereved with fondant.
I have a baby shower cake I am doing and I want to try out this technique. Do you need a particular recipe? Do you have to frost the krispies before you cover in fondant? etc....yada, yada, yada...

Thanks!
icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 6

I just used the regular rice krispie treat recipe on the box. I did cut back on the margarine some...maybe about half the amount. I know that some just buy the already made rice Krispie treats and use those to sculpt with. I frosted mine lightly with buttercream mainly to help smooth out the little lumps.

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 6

So glad you posted this question. I have someone who wants a soccerball on top of a cake and the ball is to be made of RKT. He's so excited about the ball cause he wants to eat it. Is it going to be any good to eat????

CakeComeTrue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeComeTrue Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 6

I just made a Transformers cake, with the Allspark on top. I had read to cut back on the butter, but I didn't alter the directions and i didn't have any problems. I let it dry for a day or so, and sculpted as I needed. It is still pliable which I liked. It gave me room for mistakes. I did mess up on my cube the first time around, but what is great, is that it doesn't take long to make another batch....you could probably freeze it to hurry the drying time.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 6

I made an entire wedding cake out of RKT.
Here is the recipe I used:
10 oz regular marshmallows
2 TBS Margarine
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups Rice Krispies

They were the BEST RKT ever!

I did add a crumb coat of butter cream before adding fondant to have a very smooth finish!

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 6

The carriage on the Cinderella cake in my photos is RKT. I cheated and just used the premade bars. I really didn't want to make a big batch for such a small object. I covered the RKT with a thin layer of royal icing (because I had it on hand and thought it would dry harder than BC), let it dry, then covered the carriage with fondant.

HTH,
Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%