Keepsake Figures/toppers

Decorating By l80bug79 Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 10:33am by bashini

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 5

What is the best thing to use for figures that people are wanting to keep as long as possible? gumpaste? marazipan? and how long will they last for keepsake purposes approximately?

thanks

4 replies
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:08am
post #2 of 5

Maybe oversimplifying but if they plan on keeping it why does it have to be eatable?

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:07am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats

Maybe oversimplifying but if they plan on keeping it why does it have to be eatable?

it doesn't have to be edible, but it will be directly on the icing.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:24am
post #4 of 5

Some people use polymer clay and then make a fondant barrier (like a circle/etc) to place it on, so that it can go safely on the cake. I like using gumpaste, there is a certain mystique about it being crafted of edible materials, even if nobody is ever going to eat it.

So of edibles, gumpaste will last the longest, however you said figures so actually I would use 50/50 gp/fondant unless you work REALLY fast. The Remy in my avatar is 50/50 and I've kept him for over a year now. Mind you he is missing basically every appendage (including nose and a tooth) but that's because my DD played with him, not because the gp disintegrated. Even in his deformed state I can't bear to part with him icon_wink.gif.

They will want to keep the figure away from light however, or some of the colors will invariably fade. The ultimate irony of saving a gp figure, you want to display it but to leave it out on display may ruin the colors do to fading from the light icon_rolleyes.gif. Now there's a problem you probably don't get with clay?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:33am
post #5 of 5

Hi, I have lots of figures that I have made with 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. I have kept them over 2 years. I have stored them in Gataux containers which they have clear plastic lids. You can see your work and like ceshell mentioned, don't keep them on direct sunshine.

The other solution is that you can make your figures with Cold Porcelaine, and make a plaque to keep it on.

HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%