Flower Nail Left In Cake!!!

Decorating By tyty Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 4:02am by tyty

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 23

I baked a cake about 1 week ago. Cake was cooled then wrapped in saran wrap and foil and placed in freezer along with the flower nail. Is the cake ok? Or should I bake another?

22 replies
rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 23

I would just check to make sure there is no rust around the area where the nail was. If not it should be fine, if so, you can probably remove that area or just rebake.

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 23

It should be fine! I'm not a pro, but it doesn't sound like a big deal.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 23

The nail shouldn't rust! Icing tips and flower nails are made out of Stainless steel... The cake is fine!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 23

I always worry this will happen to me!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

The nail shouldn't rust! Icing tips and flower nails are made out of Stainless steel... The cake is fine!

Not all of them are stainless. Some are aluminum or other mixed metals and will rust.

tyty Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 23

I was a Wilton flower nail. Is it stainless?

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 23

Most Wilton products are....anyways this is off their site...

Quote:
Quote:

Provides the control you need when piping icing flowers. Just rotate the nail between your fingers as you pipe a flower on the head. Stainless steel.

If you are worried could you not just take the cake out and pull the nail out?

Cheers,
ally

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #9 of 23

Mine are all Wilton and I have noticed a little bit of rusting on 2 of them.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:34am
post #10 of 23

The top part is stainless, but the nail.. not so much. I have wilton ones too and they all rust on the nail part if you leave them wet.

I would check the cake.. take the nail out and see what you see. If there is rust.. even a little bit you should re-bake it.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #11 of 23

All of my wilton ones rusted..that is why they are now in the trash dump somewhere

btw, I always put my nails in the pan first, THEN the parchment, so I know I won't leave a nail in the cake..

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:39am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

All of my wilton ones rusted..that is why they are now in the trash dump somewhere

btw, I always put my nails in the pan first, THEN the parchment, so I know I won't leave a nail in the cake..

Hi Loriemoms!

Do you recommend a different brand if so which ones? THanks!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:39am
post #13 of 23

atleast your customer didn't find it...gl icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:46am
post #14 of 23

I use Wilton nails too, and I actually had one nail come apart. After I had baked the cake and cooled it in the pan for 10 minutes, I flipped in onto the cooling rack and went to pull out the nail by its head. When I did so, all I got was the head. The nail part was left in the cake (I got it out right then as it was clearly sitting right there). However, the nail and head became separated, probably due to "rusting" away after being used to sit in cake batter (i.e. wet!) several times. I actually hadn't used it all that many times, though.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:56am
post #15 of 23

Ok, help this dummy out. Why do you put a nail in the cake??? Does it help with falling? I've never used one in this manner. Just wondering what I was missing out on???

Stephanie

specialtdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtdesserts Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:59am
post #16 of 23

I once left one in for my neighbor's cake. How embarrassing!!!

I was told in the Wilton class to only handwash them and towel dry immediately. They rust easily. I have replaced mine a couple times, too and would also like to know if anyone knows of another brand.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

Ok, help this dummy out. Why do you put a nail in the cake??? Does it help with falling? I've never used one in this manner. Just wondering what I was missing out on???

Stephanie

Alot of us use the nail as a heating core on cakes 8" and larger. Cakes tend to heat up faster from the outer edges first and it causes the center to dome up and sometimes undercooked.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #18 of 23

sorry duplicate post.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:07am
post #19 of 23

Personally I think it's a waste of time to put nails or heating cores in cakes. yes the nail heats but it only affects a small area around the nail. It doesn't actulally help bake the cake. I've been doing this for 27+ years and had no problems. Turn your oven down to 325 and bake a little longer, your cake will bake just fine.

Jibbies

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

Personally I think it's a waste of time to put nails or heating cores in cakes. yes the nail heats but it only affects a small area around the nail. It doesn't actulally help bake the cake. I've been doing this for 27+ years and had no problems. Turn your oven down to 325 and bake a little longer, your cake will bake just fine.

Jibbies

I personally found the same thing, I have only used nails once to try it out and did not notice a difference I too bake at 325 and bake a little longer my cakes even my 12inch squares turn out great.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #21 of 23

My wilton flower nails rusted as well. I washed them by hand too.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #22 of 23

I tried using a nail to bake a 10' cake. I didnt see any diference. It's just another dish to wash, in my opinion.

tyty Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:02am
post #23 of 23

I did notice a little rust on the small ring under the flat part of the nail. The small ring that holds the nail to the head. I've had my flower nails for about 3 years and the one left in the cake was the only one that has a small amount of rust. Maybe that's why it rusted, because I left it in the cake. Because of this, I will just bake the cake over. I guess I am lucky I didn't let a customer find it YIKES! It was an 8 inch by 3 inch cake.

Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%