Need Dairy-Free Recipe! Please Help....

Baking By giraffe11 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm by JanH

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:42am
post #1 of 14

I need a good dairy-free cupcake recipe. Does anyone have a tried and true? It can be any flavor....chocolate, vanilla, whatever. I am trying to accomodate some parents with a dairy-allergic son. Thanks. Heather

13 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:59am
post #2 of 14

There are some Duncan Hines cake mixes that are dairy free. There's a web site, Keeping the Castle, that has a topic devoted to this. There is a cookbook called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

That's the most I can offer. Hope you get more responses!

bizatchgirl Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:03am
post #3 of 14

Forgot to add...I did a previous thread about this and most of the answers seemed to agree that you can substitute soy milk for your milk. Make sure soy is not an issue, I guess some soy milk has additives, or the proteins are similar to cow's milk, or something to where you can be allergic to soy also.

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 14

I use the hershey's perfectly chocolate cake and substitute non dairy creamer for the milk. it tastes delicious!
good luck

bizatchgirl Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 14

Is there not milk already in the chocolate, or is it just cocoa? Is that recipe on CC?

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 14

The chocolate butter cake from WBH doesn't use milk...uses coffee and water.

PM me if you would like the recipe

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 14

I had a request for this a while back. I used one of the extender recipes from CC that called for pudding mix - no dairy (I checked the box!) and used a DH devil's food mix. It was approved by the lady who placed the order - she is very strict and educated about dairy-free needs.

Here is the link to the extender recipe:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_id-add_box-3233.html

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:25am
post #8 of 14

Thanks for all of the replies! I never thought of soy milk (duh!) and non-dairy creamer is a neat idea too. Also, never noticed that WBH has a dairy-free chocolate, even though I have both of their cake books and did look through them last night before I posted. I guess I just missed it.
I knew I could count on my fellow CCers though, which is why I accepted the job without knowing exactly what I would do with it.
Thanks to all! Heather

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:45am
post #9 of 14

In your usual favorite recipe.......use nucoa margarine in place of butter (it is the only one that is lactose free. Use Coffeemate creamer in place of milk.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:53am
post #10 of 14

be ver, very careful about what you use in terms of commercially prepared items like the box mix, items labeled non-dairy, etc. Most of these still have milk proteins and/or are manufactured on equipment that processes the proteins, which will then in turn contaminate the product. Words to look for in the ingredients list:

casein or any derivative
lactose or any derivative

ex: casein, caseinate, lactose, lactate, etc etc

best bet is to make a scratch cake, if making chocolate use cocoa powder instead of processed chocolate (it has milk), use a non animal dairy "milk" soy, almond or rice are all good. since it's a cake you could use the sweetened versions if you wish, since cow's milk has sugar in it.

I have multiple food allergies and intolerances, as does my toddler. Animal dairy is one of them

ETA: the Nucuoa margarine referenced above is not only casein-free, but gluten-free as well. It's widely available on the west coast, but not so much in the rest of the country

bizatchgirl Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 14

luvsfreebies made a great point. Watch out for stuff that's labeled non-dairy that is deceiving!

Most coffee creamers are labeled non-dairy but all the ones I have looked at contain cassein, which is a milk protein.

Coming from one who is allergic to milk...I can tell you that casein does give me the same reaction that milk does. I'm not sure how these are regulated and why that is considered non-dairy!!!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 14

you can also look for "parve" products at the jewish market parve means milk free and is very strict law, there is also parve margarine you can use with the recipe for chocolate cakes from the cake bible.

bizatchgirl Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:46am
post #13 of 14

I was looking for details on parve (also spelled pareve), because I think that the way parve foods are prepared, there would be even less of a cross-contamination, as I think that's the whole purpose of parve, to keep meat/animal products separate from non-animal products...

Anyway, I stumbled across a site that has parve products, including milk substitutes!!! Oooooh and parve is cassein free too!! No whey, milk byproducts, gluten, or skim milk powder.

Product called darifree
http://www.vancesfoods.com/kosher.htm
Description:Use DariFree on cereal, for drinking, cooking, baking and as a coffee creamer.

I'm so glad parve was mentioned and I found this product!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 14

Here's a previous post w/similar request:
(Contains cupcake & frosting recipes, as well as more info on "non-dairy" labels...)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592777-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%