Imminent Cake Disaster...rant..sorry, Long

Decorating By pastrylady Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 4:29am by lalaine

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:02am
post #31 of 43

Pastrylady, I just looked at your web site, and I must say that your cakes are really stunning! You do beautiful work!!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 2:09am
post #32 of 43

Oh my lord, they must have been so disappointed when their cake was messed up. It's obvious that their "planner's" judjement was WAY WAY OFF.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:23am
post #33 of 43

i can't see the cake!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:24am
post #34 of 43

i can't see the cake! is it in your website? if yes, which one?

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:08am
post #35 of 43

If you click on the 'www' under PastryLady's post it takes you to her website, go to Wedding Cakes and I *think* its fifth from the left on the top row - a beautiful, colourful and very fragile looking topsy turvy number that should never have been transported like that icon_cry.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:11am
post #36 of 43

Pastrylady....you are one class act! It was really kind and thoughtful of you to offer to make a new anniversary tier for the wedding couple.

I bet they'll stories about their goofball planner...and their phenomenal cake decorator for years to come!

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:51pm
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberhoney

If you click on the 'www' under PastryLady's post it takes you to her website, go to Wedding Cakes and I *think* its fifth from the left on the top row - a beautiful, colourful and very fragile looking topsy turvy number that should never have been transported like that icon_cry.gif

Yes, that's the one. I don't know why the photo doesn't always come up in the forum post...

It actually is much less fragile than it looks (except for the RI coral). The tiers sit flat on each other and are glued down with royal icing. Under normal circumstances it would have been very easy to transport. Unfortunately, the cake didn't stand a chance!

Thanks for all the compliments. It means a lot coming from the talented folks at Cake Central.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #38 of 43

Oh my. That cake was lovely!
But the planner is a nut. I wouldn't even deliver a cake like that preassembled.
Was she a friend of the Bride or something?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #39 of 43

WoW! I just checked out your website. Your work is amazing!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:17am
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Quote:

I was saying to my husband that next time I would refuse to send out the cake and call the "emergency contact" person so they could speak with the bride and get the OK to either send the cake as is or have me deliver it.

In that case the maybe you ought to get a second emergency contact number, in case the planner IS the problem. The cake looks wonderful! That planner should never work again in that particular capacity. When my dd got married the little Amish woman who made it delivered it in the trunk of her car with each of the three tiers uncovered and in flats. Thank goodness I wasn't there when she got there. My aunt almost had a heart attack, until she saw that, by some miracle, everything looked fine. Not even a speck of dirt. And it was June in Kansas! Whew!

McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #41 of 43

I have always heard that there are only two people who should be allowed to deliver a cake:

1) the one who decorated it
2) the one who paid for it

BTW, your work really is awesome!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:30am
post #42 of 43

Hmm that planner sounds like one of those "discount" planners who really doesn't know what they are doing! I check Mark Kingsdorf's blog every so often and he warns brides against those all the time. LOL. (You should PM me the name of the planner, just in case!!!! Pleeeeze? icon_biggrin.gif )

I'm glad the bride was understanding...I hope she got her money back from the planner. Sorry all your hard work was wasted.

lalaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalaine Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:29am
post #43 of 43

i would never have allowed them to take the cake.
i would have said that i had given them instructions in advance, to have a van or suv or flat area, and that the vehicle and circumstances that they present (small sedan, toddler in the back) is not conducive to delivering a cake. i would have told them that i or my husband will have to deliver it, given that they did not follow directions, and that we would have to charge them for delivery. i would have said that there is no way that cake will make it to the reception in one piece, especially if it had to sit in the car while the planner went home to change, and that i wasnt about to have my reputation and work ruined. if they didnt like it, too bad!

i like the idea of another poster, to have it in the contract that if suitable transportation is not provided, you would have to deliver it yourself and charge for delivery. or that anything over one or 2 tiers would have to be delivered.

sorry this happened. i know how much i sweat as i'm driving a cake to a destination, careful over bumps and potholes, etc.

i bought a roll of that rubber non-skid shelf liner at walmart, that looks like a waffle grid. i always keep a piece of it in my car, i use pieces between the cake plate and a box or large cake tin that i carry a finished cake in. i have cut off pieces of it and given it to people who pick up cakes (not too often, i usually deliver myself) so they can put it down in their car so the cake wont slide. this stuff is amazing, nothing slides on it. i like it so much, i lined the back of my suv with it. when i go grocery shopping, the plastic bags full of groceries dont slide around the back of my car anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%