Fat-Free Vs Low-Fat Buttermilk

Baking By pinkpiggie78 Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 2:32am by JanH

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 7

Ok so I know the difference between low-fat and fat-free buttermilk, but I have two chocolate cake recipes that call for buttermilk and all I could find at the store was fat-free buttermilk. Will the cakes turn out ok? I have to make three cakes and all three of them require buttermilk and with the hurricane, I really don't feel like running to ANOTHER grocery store today. Any help would be appreciated.

6 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 7

I can't answer your question, but I was watching Ellie Krieger on the FoodNetwork and she mentioned to use low-fat, not fat-free, because of all the additives added to the fat-free to get it's taste or texture. She would rather have a little bit of fat than artificial whatever. In this case she was talking about sour cream. So I can't answer your question about whether it will turn out okay, but maybe the flavor will be just a bit different, but not necessarily bad. It's something to think about if you have to list your ingredients and you don't want to have to list a bunch of additives, etc.

Oh, I've never bought buttermilk either....I use the trick to add vinegar (I think that's what it is) to regular milk and let it sit for a few minutes. I don't know if it's as good or worse because I've never used store bought buttermilk. Heck, I just learned last night that you can make caramel! icon_smile.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks... didn't even think about additives... just thought they took out the fat. Anyway, I braved Hanna and went to the third grocery store and found low-fat buttermilk. Since I now have two huge things of buttermilk, I might mix in a little fat-free into the low-fat, just to use it.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 7

Yah, guess you are right. It's probably just made with fat-free milk. Duh. I guess it only matters in other things, like sour cream or cream cheese, stuff like that.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 7

Well let us know how it turns out so if the issue ever comes up with us...we'll know what to do!

pinkpiggie78 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #6 of 7

BTW MichelleM77 I did look at the ingredients on the fat-free buttermilk, since you peaked my curiosity, and sure enough there were some extra things added to it.

I did use 1/3 c of the FF and 1 c LF in the recipe, just so I can use up the FF. Unfortunately, I won't be able to taste them until late Sept.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:32am
post #7 of 7

Baking is science; a good recipe is a balanced formula. icon_smile.gif

Substituting a fat free product for one that contains fat will alter the texture of the finished cake.

Here's an informative article on low fat baking:

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/low-fat-baking.htm/printable

Buttermilk substitutes:

http://www.ochef.com/488.htm

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%