Need Help With Reading Threads.

Decorating By carleen2140 Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 12:16am by ceshell

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:44am
post #1 of 10

When a popular post is going strong and many pages are attached to it, is there a way I can skip from page 3 to 20 without hitting the next button.
Is there a box where you can type the page number you want.

Carleen

9 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:02am
post #2 of 10

At the bottom of the page right by the next button there is a string of numbers.. if you click on the number of the page you want to go to.. it will bring you there. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:06am
post #3 of 10

I don't know how many pages a thread must be before the Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...collapses on itself and only allows you to go to the 1st and last 3 pages...I know for p 1-9 you can just click on the Go to page number you need. Even for a really long thread, at a minimum the first 3 pages and the last 3 pages are always in that Go to page number link.

If you are trying to figure out how to skip ahead to a page that is buried when the Go to page link reads something like: "1, 2, 3, 4, ...23, 24, 25" let me know, I have an explanation for how to do that. It's really easy but when you read it it looks more complicated than it is so I don't want to bore you with the explanation if it's TMI/too much information icon_wink.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:07am
post #4 of 10

But if its a really popular thread (more than 5 pages or so) you just have to click next, there's no shortcut. It'll only give you "1.....8, 9, 10......30"

In this case, you're on page 9. If you wanted to get to page 17, you'd have to click through one by one.

Thank goodness not many threads do that. icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:23am
post #5 of 10

Oh noooo....you did NOT really want to read my explanation of how to get around that problem did u CakeMakar?!! LOL!!!

OK brace yourself, here goes. Like I said, it sounds more complicated than it is. Once you click on p2 of a thread and read the URL in your address bar, this will make perfect and complete sense:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the page numbers have been collapsed in the Go to Page link, then you can still navigate the thread's later pages by using your browser. In your address bar, where the thread's URL appears, when you are on page TWO of any given long thread, the URL contains a long string of characters that ends in: "start=15". This is true for any p.2 because p2 always starts at post #15.

Each page (from p2 onward) starts on a multiple of 15 because each page holds 15 posts. So p2 starts at 15, p3 starts at 30, p4 at 45 and so on. If you change the "start=15" to read "start=30" you'll get page three. "start=45" will give you p4, and so on as the page numbers multiply. If you need to skip ahead to p9 if it's buried in a really long thread you'd change "start=15" to "start=120". Just a little math, that's all icon_smile.gif

Try it here, that's how I was able to give you this direct link to p9: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=594605&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=120 <--You can even see the "&start=120" part of the URL in the link.

You always need to start this technique at page 2 or later because that's when the URL changes to that long string of characters that includes the "start=#" that you change.

Now please, somebody tell me you understood that icon_lol.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:27am
post #6 of 10

Wow!, I didn't know that.....and you did a great job of explaining it. Thank you.

ceshell Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:32am
post #7 of 10

Phew, thanks thumbs_up.gif

I think I actually figured this out when I was trying to dig deep into my Watched Topics list to find an old post. However in that case p2 starts at 50 and goes up by +50 each time.

Not that you asked but there is a similar trick you can use in the galleries; in that case the end of the URL reads "pageID=7" (or whatever number) so you can change that # to whatever page you want to hit. I don't know how you would know which page to go to LOL but it still works.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 10

Yeah, I knew the math thing...I've tried to explain it to others but I always get the "huh?" And then they tell me they'd rather just click through. Kinda what you were expecting, yes?

Hopefully they don't change the number of posts per page after someone gets it. icon_biggrin.gif

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 10

Good explanation Ceshell. I understood all of it. I even tested it. I changed it to the next page and then changed it back again.
This is going to be very helpful. Have you looked in the cupcake forum?
There is a thread for starting the cupcake forum and it goes from page
3...465 (guess). And although I wanted to read some of the post, I could not see me pressing the next button all day, and then coming back another time and doing that all over again, until I reached the spot where I left off. I'll keep a calculator near by. icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks a mill
Carleen

ceshell Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 12:16am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleen2140

I'll keep a calculator near by. icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%