Gumpaste Glue????

Decorating By cakeladydi Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 1:07am by SweetDreams

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #1 of 10

I just made the shoe following booneati's instructions.
To stick it all together she says to use "gumpaste glue".
Can someone please tell me what this is? I didn't know so I mixed some piping gel with a little water and painted it on with a brush. I'm not sure it is going to hold it together. I guess I'll find out in the morning.

Thanks,
Diane

9 replies
shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:06am
post #2 of 10

Gum paste glue - take a small amount of gum paste and dissolve it in some water. I use warm water to dissolve the gumpaste in but cold will work as well. This mixture holds really well when dry.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 10

Gumpaste glue is a small piece of gumpaste broken up and disolved into water. You can use other stuff too like gumtex and water, egg white (suggest not eating!), fondant disolved into water...I suggest a search in the forums if you are a by the book person and need specific amounts. I just start mixing whatever I have on hand.

cakeladydi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:41am
post #4 of 10

Thank ya'll for the help. So do you think I'll be OK usng the piping gel?

bizatchgirl Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:24am
post #5 of 10

What are you using it for? I don't know if piping gel really 'dries'. So, it might not be strong enough.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:23am
post #6 of 10

Hi there, I did the same shoe. But I don't think piping gel would work. I don't think its going to dry. So as the above posters have mentioned you can use the Gumpaste glue or here is a video from aine2 on " How to make edible glue".

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g_1vtYY-wFQ

HTH. icon_smile.gif

cakeladydi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 10

Welll it seems to have worked. I used it to attach the heel, bow, and the top part to the sole. Anywhere it needed to be put together I used it. So far so good. I am also going to make some sort of decorative plaque to place the shoe on on top of the cake. I'm just being very careful with it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Diane

bizatchgirl Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the info Diane! I would not have thought it would work. Now I know if I don't have my preferred 'glues' on hand, I can use piping gel. It is what my Wilton's instructor recommended for gluing fondant to the cake board and the bottom of the cake, so I guess I should have remembered that icon_redface.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 10

The glue that works well for me is Tylose and water. It holds quickly and very well. You only need a very tiny amount for petals to hold.

I use about 2Tbsp. of hot water and 1/8 tsp. of Tylose. Then I let it sit for a fews hours or over night to let the Tylose dissolve.

HTH

Michele

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:07am
post #10 of 10

I just use water to stick the petals together when I am making my gumpaste roses and I have never had a problem

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%