Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 4:56pm by leah_s

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #1 of 83

is called to order.
Who's up?
Whatcha doing?

I'm painting very small fondant leaves with gold paint. I'm gonna be here a while . . .

82 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #2 of 83

I'm here not baking tonight I'm making a quilt for my hubby I have a big cake coming up in a couple of weeks for a auction

Molly

Molly2 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #3 of 83

What are the leaves for?

Molly

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #4 of 83

I'm here but not baking tonight either. I got staples in my leg today and I haven't figured out how to sleep without laying on them so I'm just sitting in my desk chair.

I was supposed to make my birthday cake tonight but I don't feel like it.

leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:24am
post #5 of 83

The leaves go on vines on a wedding cake. This stuff I design always sounds so good in my head . . .

leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:25am
post #6 of 83

Oh, Texas . . . you're making your own birthday cake? With staples in your leg?

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:32am
post #7 of 83

I'm here taking time out from designing. Cant seem to figure out something to use to form half inch Hibiscus Flowers in. So instead I was checking out the Cake news.

leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:34am
post #8 of 83

Those are some tiny Hibiscus! Lilly formers?

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:34am
post #9 of 83

I made salmon pinwheels (stuffed with crab) earlier now I am learning a new fondant smocking technique tonight from my new book (published 2001) by cake decorators Kerrie Walsh and Kathy Knudsen called, "The Essential Cake Decorating Guide" page 59. Very Neat!

Still waiting for my new CIA book in the mail (came out on 9/1).

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:39am
post #10 of 83

I always make my own birthday cake icon_biggrin.gif This one is supposed to be a bourbon pecan cake shaped like a can can dancer...I have an itty bitty bottle of Maker's Mark that was going into it, but I'm thinking I may be forced to put that bourbon to better use.

Mostly I am kicking myself for actually going and getting the staples, I think they hurt worse than the original cut and it would have stopped bleeding sometime I'm sure.

Speaking of quilts, have any of you ever seen a tumbling blocks pattern on a cake? I've been thinking about that for a while now and wondering how it would look.

shadowgypsie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:39am
post #11 of 83

Leahs I thought about them and even tried the smallest and next size up but one was to small the other just a little to big.

wrightway777 I have that book also, been wanting to try that smocking technique, so how is it going ? is it as hard as it looks?

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:40am
post #12 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgypsie

I'm here taking time out from designing. Cant seem to figure out something to use to form half inch Hibiscus Flowers in. So instead I was checking out the Cake news.

How about an egg carton lined with foil?

leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:42am
post #13 of 83

How about a teaspoon? Not deep enough?

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:43am
post #14 of 83

I already baked my cakes and they are in the fridge. Tomorrow, I will ice them in buttercream. DH's b'day is Sunday and my 7yr old wanted to make him a "Simpsons" cake.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:44am
post #15 of 83

No baking here in NY...well, until tomorrow!! I will be doing my first orange creamsicle cupcakes..I hope they come out well...I was trying to think of something the guests haven't had before...we'll see how they turn out.

Flowers and little teapots are done for the tops of the cupcakes though...now to figure out how to make my little gumball machine for my neice who is visiting from out of town...

I should head to bed before my brain is over stimulated by this screen.....

Goodnight ladies!!

shadowgypsie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:44am
post #16 of 83

Texas_rose I have seen it on a cake and it looked pretty cool. The person that did it had made some blocks stacked 3D and then laid out some squares flat on the cake. It was done for a baby shower cake. HTH

Babygirlx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babygirlx Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:47am
post #17 of 83

I have a mini cake order due tomorrow and everything is going wrong. It is so hot in my house that the buttercream is melting and making the cake slide. The mini boxes I measured in the store were 4x4. My cakes are 3x3 but they dont fit so I had to make smaller. She said she waned fall colors but now I wish I would of made her be specific because she is a picky client so I dont want her to be disappointed. To add to everything, she called me last nite and said she wants them tto be really nice because her guests are really boogie, whatever tha means. I assumed they were picky as well.
Im crying my eyes out because I feel overwelmed. I made some cake balls not coated yet with the lefovers. Im tempd to coat and wrap those and give them to hr for free or just a small amount. I charged her $3.50 per mini fondant box cake and I feel like its sooooo much work, not even worth it. I only have 25 and Im going insane. My 3 girls are starving for atttention and its taking me hours just to put fondant on these cakes. Oh, by the way, did I tell you the cream cheese filling is melting as well and coming out the sides... Help me Jesus

leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #18 of 83

OK, put the frosting on those little things, then pop them in the freezer. Leave about 10 minutes, pull one out and slap the fondant on it. (Have it pre rolled and ready.) Is there any place in your house that's cool? Even the basement?

And next time start at $10 each. icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #19 of 83

I am making a small (but tall) Butter cake in 6" square pans for my daughter's 22nd birthday party on Sunday. I only have one pan, so it's taking me a while to bake. I slaved so much over the first square cake I made a couple of weeks ago that I thought I'd torture myself with another on a voluntary basis. A bit masochistic, I think.

I was so proud of making this cake from scratch until my husband pointed out that the recipe called for 4 sticks of butter and not the 2 I'd put in it (it said 2 cups and I read 2 sticks). Luckily, I was able to add the other two sticks before I started baking. Big DUH on my part. Good times!

Molly2 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #20 of 83

Texas What Happened I broke my leg about a year and a half ago and had 15 staples in mine it took 12 weeks to heel I know the feeling I slept in my back the whole time.

Molly

wrightway777 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #21 of 83

Texas_Rose - dont worry (if you are) about the staples coming out when the time comes. I had them after my C-section and they were a cinch to take out when it was time. Hope you feel better soon!

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:58am
post #22 of 83

Hi I dont know if this is a members only thing, but Hi!! icon_lol.gif
I'm making some BC for my cake class.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:00am
post #23 of 83

Hey, everyone's a member here. All comers are welcome!

wrightway777 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #24 of 83

lilahcakes - what kind of buttercream are you making and what kind of class are you taking?

leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:03am
post #25 of 83

Yeah, every Friday night for Cake Club whoever is up chats and we work and keep each other company. And try to solve problems, etc. It's nice to have other people on the other side of the screen when we're working late.

lilahcakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:04am
post #26 of 83

I'm taking the Wilton 1 class, so im making just powderd sugar, water and cristo so it doent taste good Im not adding any flavor cause I'll eat it in class or before class and I can only do that so many times before I go into a sugar coma.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:06am
post #27 of 83

I just finished making a fishing theme groom's cake. One of those where the fish is bursting out of the top tier. My DH loves it so I know I did a good job............he's my toughest critic.......even more so than myself.

Creationscakery-----can you share your orange creamsicle cupcakes recipe??------sounds so yummy!

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #28 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

Texas_Rose - dont worry (if you are) about the staples coming out when the time comes. I had them after my C-section and they were a cinch to take out when it was time. Hope you feel better soon!

icon_lol.gif Yeah, I had them for c-sections too, twice. I didn't even feel them come out, that part of my belly's been numb since the first c-section.

Mostly what's bugging me about these is that in a week I'm going to have to pay $95 to have them taken out. And I'm just thinking of what I could spend that $95 on instead, and watching videos on youtube of how to take your own staples out....I already have wire cutters and tweezers...I need to quit thinking about it icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

All that happened to me was I dropped a bowl in the kitchen this morning, tried to catch it with my knee, the bowl broke against the cabinet instead and sliced my leg open. It's the little stuff that always gets me. This cut is only about an inch and a half long and there are 4 staples in it. I can tell from looking at it that it's going to heal ugly too.

lilahcakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #29 of 83

OH MY GOSH !! i love orange creamsicles!! I would love to have that recipe too.

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:11am
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilahcakes

I'm taking the Wilton 1 class, so im making just powderd sugar, water and cristo so it doent taste good Im not adding any flavor cause I'll eat it in class or before class and I can only do that so many times before I go into a sugar coma.

I've added soap to my practice frosting before because I tend to eat my mistakes without thinking about it. Leaving the flavor out doesn't seem to stop me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%